After-market Miter Gauge

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

After-market Miter Gauge

Post by berry »

I'm interested in getting a new aftermarket miter gauge for my 520. So if have an Incra or Osborne or any other brand would please give me your opinions or direct me to a thread where you've posted them before. Or if you looked at these options and decided to stick with the factory unit for a reason other than price I'd like to hear about that too. I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks for reading and remember even though you may have shoveled or there is a coating of ice on your favorite fishing lake or you had to dig out your Long John's - it's not winter yet.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

I use the Incra V120 http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... rav120.htm

It accepts the Shopsmith safety grip, and you can attach any Shopsmith accessories and home made jigs using the adaptor plate http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... dapter.htm

The V120 is easy to use, and plenty accurate for me.

Edit: My bad. It seems the adaptor plate isn't all its claimed t be. I don't own the adaptor plate because I have no accessories or home brews for the SS miter gauge. I was just taking the word of the mother ship. :-(
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Can't comment on the Osborne (make sure they make one that fits the Shopsmith slot before you buy:eek:).

I have the Incra v120 Shopsmith edition and I like it very much. It can be adjusted to remove all the slop in the slot and the repeatability is great with the indexed angles. The only thing I really miss is the ability to solidly lock the bar in the slot, which can be done with the stock Shopsmith bar. So keep the old one around for those times when that feature is needed.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Mine's a Kreg. It's dead on at any setting. But, I don't think they make a bar to fit the SS, any longer.
My choice would be the Incra, if I were buying another one.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have the v-120 and other then some early issues it has worked fine. I also have the older 2000, and a 1000HD(on a miter sled). Incra stuff I have adds up to a lot of an investment. For the most part I rank them pretty high. Here are a couple of threads to look over.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=12840

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=12843

The second thread I would read before buying the v120 adapter plate if you go that way.

The Osborne was a favorite of Norm and those pictures on the screen is as close to one as I have been. So while I value Norms opinions I can not go past that.

The standard miter gauge that comes with the shopsmith is quite good. Various method can be used to enhance the accuracy of the angle setting if that becomes critical. It will be slower then the v120's plate and notch feature but it can be done. That is the cheap way to go.

You will want to get the v120 from shopsmith so you get the correct parts that allow mounting the safety grip and has the right miter slot size if you go that way.

BTW on 505/510/520 the v-120 will lock in place, it needs the t-slot.

Ed

berry wrote:I'm interested in getting a new aftermarket miter gauge for my 520. So if have an Incra or Osborne or any other brand would please give me your opinions or direct me to a thread where you've posted them before. Or if you looked at these options and decided to stick with the factory unit for a reason other than price I'd like to hear about that too. I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks for reading and remember even though you may have shoveled or there is a coating of ice on your favorite fishing lake or you had to dig out your Long John's - it's not winter yet.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

The latest FWW Tools and shops has a rating article on miter gauges. The INCRA overall rate higher than the Osborne (though nothing specifically pointing to Shopsmith useable models). I have the INCRA 1000 /sled combo and was able to adjust the gauge to 1/2 thousandth per foot using William Ng's 5 cuts method. I would presume any INCRA could be adjusted just as precisely, though why you'd want it that close is beyond me. :p

If I am using the SS miter and need a precise angle I use a jig called MiterSet. Not certain if they are still available.

Since I don't own the Osborne, I have no opinion regarding its capabilities compared to the INCRA line.

Be well,
Ben
berry
Platinum Member

Thanks

Post by berry »

Thanks to one-and-all, I know what I should put in my note to Santa.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

For those interested, and especially for those who cut segments for turning, Here is Miterset's website.
I highly recommend using it when you have the need for extreme accuracy.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

My favorite miter gauge by far is definitely the Osborne EB3. And yes they do make a version for the Shopsmith's miter gauge slot. It was designed for the "520" table but it will work on the "500" with careful planning. I was lucky enough to purchase it on sale right after they introduced it (a couple of years ago I think).
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Have you considered a miter sled

Post by masonsailor2 »

If you really have a need for dead on accuracy I think the best option is still to build a sled for the SS and just build a miter bar on the sled. It is still by far the most accurate option. In have an incra 5000 sled someone gave me for Christmas many years ago and it is OK but I still revert to my shop made sled for anything that needs real accuracy. Use a wixey digital protractor to set the bar and you will have an amazingly accurate tool. Plus you don't need to woody about the difference in the miter bar dimensions because you make them to fit !
Paul