10ER in AK Fair Price

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mike907
Platinum Member

10ER in AK Fair Price

Post by Mike907 »

What would be a fair price for this? Keep in mind that Shopsmith items go for more here due to shipping costs. To ship a 10ER to Alaska from the lower 48 would cost me at least $125, and I have certain discounts available, depending on location.

Thanks for your help,

Mike
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

A matter of opinion of course, but considering convenience of access and the seller’s willingness to demonstrate that it’s in good working order, I’d consider the price acceptable.

It looks pretty much complete. If it includes some saw blades, chisels, etc., with a bit of cleanup it appears you’d have yourself a machine that you can put to use immediately.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

idcook wrote:A matter of opinion of course, but considering convenience of access and the seller’s willingness to demonstrate that it’s in good working order, I’d consider the price acceptable.

It looks pretty much complete. If it includes some saw blades, chisels, etc., with a bit of cleanup it appears you’d have yourself a machine that you can put to use immediately.
+1

I am just a beginner, but that is a very workable machine, I don't think you can go wrong. It is probably a little higher that in the lower 48, but you already covered that. Have fun with it. What it will do, be warned, is hook you into the fever. I know I've got it ..... :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
2centsworth
Gold Member

Go for it...

Post by 2centsworth »

It looks to be a good deal. Make sure to run it thru it's paces. Listen for any squeal from the bearings. There is nothing that can not be fixed or replaced. If they are that hard to find up there take it and don't look back. :D
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
paulsgreenbarn
Gold Member

Post by paulsgreenbarn »

Does it seem fair to you? Price is relative to what you want.Who cares what others think?How often d they come up for sale up there?
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Mike, when you go to look at it, pop the belt off, and feel the bearings. Everything on an ER can be replaced, so that is not an issue, but I'd rather see you running now, instead of having to rebuild stuff.

I'm getting a(nother!) ER this weekend, for $150, and it doesn't have the jigsaw, so your price is there. Also, I don't know how rare ERs are up in the Frozen Tundra.

steve
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

These things seem ageless. Bought one in '84 for $100 and completely rebuilt it. It started ugly and ended beautiful - BRIGHT GLOSS RED. Got a job offer in SoCal and had to move. Sold it for $250. Dumb move on my part but the shipping cost for that alone added an additional $100. Perhaps it was just as well as I didn't have time to do any woodwork. Five years later I have a Mk. VII. for $175 with bandsaw.

With inflation calculated this is a really great deal. Almost everything I see on Craigslist is outrageous. For Curiosity I look throughout the midwest and west coast. eBay has caused people to believe that the "asking price" from some of those people is the selling price locally. Hookers in NYC are "asking" $1000 per night. That's not the selling price there or anywhere else. Get my drift?
A day without CNN & MSNBC is like a day without anthrax.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

db5 wrote:These things seem ageless. Bought one in '84 for $100 and completely rebuilt it. It started ugly and ended beautiful - BRIGHT GLOSS RED. Got a job offer in SoCal and had to move. Sold it for $250. Dumb move on my part but the shipping cost for that alone added an additional $100. Perhaps it was just as well as I didn't have time to do any woodwork. Five years later I have a Mk. VII. for $175 with bandsaw.

With inflation calculated this is a really great deal. Almost everything I see on Craigslist is outrageous. For Curiosity I look throughout the midwest and west coast. eBay has caused people to believe that the "asking price" from some of those people is the selling price locally. Hookers in NYC are "asking" $1000 per night. That's not the selling price there or anywhere else. Get my drift?
On eBay, one can easily look at "sold" listings to ascertain the real market price. With Craigslist, it takes more work, but that's where some real bargains can be found. If you monitor it daily, or better yet hourly.

A snapshot of listings on any given day is very misleading .. almost everything is overpriced. Why? Because the underpriced stuff is snapped up within hours, the realistically priced stuff is gone in a few days, but the overpriced stuff sits there for weeks and weeks. If not months and months.

Case in point. About a year ago, a gentleman in Dayton had listed a nice clean 10ER, with a speed changer but without factory legs and casters, for $300. I had already scored a great deal on a 10ER with lots of goodies, but no speed changer. So I called the guy up and offered him $75 for the speed changer. He said "No way, that's the most valuable piece. I might just sell that and take everything else to the dump." So I said "Don't do that. I can't use it, but someone here on the Shopsmith forum can. A realistic price is $100 in this area. I'll even help you sell it." No interest.

A few weeks later, I sniped a nice clean speed changer off of eBay for $75. And the $300 listing in Dayton eventually expired.

Then, a month or two after that, the Dayton 10ER reappeared on Craigslist, priced at $100. With the speed changer. It was gone within four hours.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

db5 wrote:These things seem ageless. Bought one in '84 for $100 and completely rebuilt it. It started ugly and ended beautiful - BRIGHT GLOSS RED. Got a job offer in SoCal and had to move.
It was about then that I got my first one. It was a model E that was converted over, before I got it, except the rip fence was still E. (Funny, the serial number began with an R. R24996.) It did come with absolutely NO documentation, except the name plate and the motor plate. I had to figure it out, all by hand. (And never suffered a scratch!)

Got it at the auction house in Lawton, Ok, for $125. Since then, I think I'm up to my 6th, that I've owned, including E number 7447, that a member likes posting that he's gotten for free. (When you've been around aircraft as much as I have, that's a difficult number to forget.)(I wouldn't wish any harm comes to this member, but might enjoy reading his obituary.)

I posted in another thread, that I found another one, with the B SPT adapter, for $150, on CL. Last Sunday we exchanged emails, last night we talked, and I'm getting my (currently, under this roof) 5th one. I didn't try to talk him down on price, because the machine is worth at least $100. He told me that someone had called, trying to buy just the adapter, for $50, and he turned that offer down. I did ask him if he had a way to get rid of the wooden base, because I had no desire (or room) for it, and he was accommodating.

When I asked him about the B adapter, he said his father-in-law gave him the ER, after moving up to a Mark X, and had the adapter before he got his Mark. Unfortunately, no SPTs come with this one.

steve
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Case in point. About a year ago, a gentleman in Dayton had listed a nice clean 10ER, with a speed changer but without factory legs and casters, for $300. I had already scored a great deal on a 10ER with lots of goodies, but no speed changer. So I called the guy up and offered him $75 for the speed changer. He said "No way, that's the most valuable piece. I might just sell that and take everything else to the dump." So I said "Don't do that. I can't use it, but someone here on the Shopsmith forum can. A realistic price is $100 in this area. I'll even help you sell it." No interest.

A few weeks later, I sniped a nice clean speed changer off of eBay for $75. And the $300 listing in Dayton eventually expired.

Then, a month or two after that, the Dayton 10ER reappeared on Craigslist, priced at $100. With the speed changer. It was gone within four hours.
One of my earlier CL purchases, came with a LARGE plastic bucket of parts. (One of those pool chlorine tablet buckets) inside was a servicable speedchanger, that I wasn't aware of. I was aware of the copy of PTWFE 53, that came with it.

$125, I think, plus another $25 to deliver it. The book and speeedchanger are worth that much!

steve