Roll-Top Breadbox

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bffulgham
Gold Member

Roll-Top Breadbox

Post by bffulgham »

My bride has been after me for a couple of years to build her a breadbox. So, I figgered it was probably a good idea for me to build a breadbox:)

I used a set of plans I found from Dale Hayes, and modified/tweaked things to fit what I wanted. I used canvas to back the tambour lid. I wound up with ballpark dimensions of 18" wide, 12" tall, and 11 1/2" deep. The wood is soft maple. I even turned the knob from a piece of hard maple that I had. The base coat of finish was boiled linseed oil. After the BLO dried for several days, I finally got a day with minimal wind and no brown stuff falling from the sky and sprayed several coats of Zinsser Spray Shellac.

I actually had fun building this thing. I've always wanted to try a tambour roll, and found out it is really not hard to do. My guess is that I will be asked to make several more in the not too distant future. While non of the steps to put this together was hard, it took a lot of time to set up to do whatever step was next. If I do build more, I'll build several (3-5) at a time...

Here's how it turned out. The wood and finish combo does not play well with the camera flash. In natural light, there is not quite as much contrast as what shows in these pics.
[ATTACH]24904[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]24905[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]24906[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]24907[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_7792 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7792 (Custom).JPG (82 KiB) Viewed 7247 times
IMG_7790 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7790 (Custom).JPG (77.63 KiB) Viewed 7247 times
IMG_7791 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7791 (Custom).JPG (79.06 KiB) Viewed 7247 times
IMG_7793 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7793 (Custom).JPG (79.42 KiB) Viewed 7249 times
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

I like it! You did a nice job on it. Thanks for the link to the plans
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

NICE, REALLY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bake my own bread, no bread machine, by hand, builds the forearms like PopEye!!! and in the oven. A 1 1/2lb loaf cost $0.80, that is 80 cents, 4/5ths of a dollar!!!! The same loaf from Bread Smiths, not to be confused with ShopSmith is $4.50 at the store. My 42 year old nephew is a food chemist and turned me on to it, yes he loves to cook!!! I do too, I wanted to be a chef, but not the hours as a family man with kids back then. I feel sorry for all the kids that get fast food, micro wave food, ect. My nephew treats me very good financially for my help and expertise, he pulls 110K a year doing what he loves to do, cook and experiment with food and recipies!! I am going to make him one for his bread and one for me too!!!!
THANKS for the link!!!!
I have been doing WW for over 40 years on and off, really got into it in my retirement 2 years ago, usually do my own designing or a mod to my personal use from a pic or other design. I have found mixing 2 different woods makes a normal project into a unique one!!! IMHO and FWIW, cherry and maple or cherry and walnut are good combos together. I am sure there are other with exotics, not much with oak, ash and walnut is nice too, ash has the color like maple with a graining like flat sawn oak, and with walnut looks good to. Cant make the ash look like maple but do to the graining, you can make it look like oak, and machines really nice, where oak is shitty for machining. Actually ash is cheaper then oak, with a touch of dye you can not tell the difference.
With dyes, not stains, you can make any wood look like an other as long as they have the same grain pattern/foot print.
I am fortunate to have a hard wood supplier near me, and they have a bin with select pieces in it, labeled by species and full of burled, fiddle back, spalded, birds eye, wormed, ect!!! And not over priced. This was made out white ash, dyed to the color I wanted, but look at the grain pattern, just like flat sawn oak.
The "contol box" is burled walnut and burled white ash, natural, with a 50/50 mix of BLO, (boiled linseed oil) and MS (mineral spirits) to pop the grain, then oil based Poly, then hand rubbed with 0000 steel wool with Johnsons paste wax to cut the gloss a bit.
Then click on the the pic of the "angle to the dangle and steps to the gods" for more pics of that project, that is white ash, fumed with ammonia, then oil Poly and rubbed with 0000 steel wool and JPW, my favorite finish to finishing the finish!!!
click on the individual pics to enlarge and get full view of them.
http://s247.photobucket.com/user/rburse ... t=3&page=1
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Nice! Very nice, Bud!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
newportcycle
Gold Member

Post by newportcycle »

Inspirational Bud, thanks for the photos.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

That's a super job, very nice!
Chris
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Very nice!
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Memories

Post by flashbacpt »

Bud,

Very nice work, job well done! You brought back memories for me! Over 30 years ago, I made 17 breadboxes, and sold them all the first day at a local church craft show.

Never kept one for myself, and regretting it now!

Again, Great Job!

John
FlashbacPT
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Great Job!

I have always admired these, but never got one. To make one like you did must be very satisfying.

John
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Very nice job
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander