Where is the best place to buy/find wood

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodhead52
Gold Member

Where is the best place to buy/find wood

Post by woodhead52 »

If this question doesn't scream NEWBIE :eek:, I don't know what does.
I'm just finishing the maintenance, inventory and repairs on my new-to-me 520 (a 1993 Upgraded), I haven't even established that I have all of the lathe pieces yet. I'm making a parts list as I go to avoid ordering piecemeal. I also have a SS jointer and bandsaw, and DC. Just bought everything last Sunday from a widow. So, neither she or her nephew who was helping her really knew much about the equipment.

So yeah, I'm pretty new to this wood working stuff. (Learning a lot though from this awesome forum)

I'm not new to building however, so construction material I know. Lowes, Home Depot, etc, unfortunately there aren't to many lumber yards around anymore. So, where is the best place to buy nice plywood, or the white sided pressed stuff (sorry I've seen the initials, but memory fails me) used for some jigs, cabinets, etc?

I've seen exotic woods at Woodcraft, but they seem very expensive, and I don't think I'm ready for that kind of nice wood yet. I want to get a few easier builds under me before I get into that kind of stuff.

So what kind of stores or other avenues to get some wood am I looking for? I'd love to hear from those of you in the know. I'm excited to begin making some sawdust! :D

Thanks
Woodhead
Just a chip off the ol' block!

1993 SS Mark V 510 with a 520 Upgrade, 520 Extension Fence (2) Extension Tables, (4) Floating Tables (4) connecting tubes (2) SS Band Saw, SS Jointer, SS Belt Sander, SS Power Station, SS DC3300
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Around here, I find Window and/or molding suppliers buy lumber to make their products. They may be congenial to sell you some lumber - even make special orders for you.

In your neck of the woods, there should be a few small sawmills within a 100 miles or so. Good luck!

MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) covered with Melamine (the white stuff) can be found at Lowes.

You can also try "woodfinders.com"
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Woodhead,

I buy my hardwoods at a local hardwood supplier, they also sell cabinet grade plywood. The stuff is not cheap; but I have been happy with the results. I found them and a couple of others by searching 'hardwood suppliers in Northern Virginia' on Google. You would just substitute your area for Northern Virginia.

Good Luck,

Jack
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

You might start by looking here. http://www.woodfinder.com
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
texomawood
Gold Member

Post by texomawood »

Do a Google search in your area for "hardwood suppliers" or ask the guys at Woodcraft, mine here in Austin keep a list of suppliers and are more than willing to share. Search out a wood turning club, they will know. There used to be a Lumber yard in that area that was great, Paxton's.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

"Where is the best place to find wood?"

I the forest! :D Sorry I couldn't help myself.

I have found most wood workers are pretty good Joe's.
If you go to a cabinet shop that does custom work in both wood and Melamine many will reveal their source of wood and many even may add your wood to their order.
You can find these guys in industrial parks and warehouse centers. Carefully drive around and see if any have the overhead door open where you can see inside and see if they look busy.

Take something with you a cooler full of soft drinks and go in around Noon or toward the end of the day. Some will throw you out but many will accept your cold drink and be willing to talk a little. Remember while they are talking to you they aren't making any money.

Be very mindful of OSHA safety laws and don't go barging in when they have saws and equipment running at full pace.

I spent a few minutes going past one such cabinet shop until one day I saw everyone sort of standing around taking a break. I had some cold drinks and I pulled up and said hi. Before long I had the name and phone number of their supplier. Since I had a commerical business license I could order directly but they offered to order for me.

Real nice guys that I learned a lot from over the years.

I had to assure them I wasn't opening a cabinet shop or trying to steal their business.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
woodhead52
Gold Member

Post by woodhead52 »

Thanks for the good suggestions. Chuck thanks for the reminder, MDF. Don't know why that one slipped away.

Do any of you use much pine. I see craigslist ads for free wood, usually pallets or demo'd building wood piles. I'm thinking to just learn with this might be an inexpensive way to start. Thoughts?
Woodhead

1993 SS Mark V 510 with a 520 Upgrade, 520 Extension Fence (2) Extension Tables, (4) Floating Tables (4) connecting tubes (2) SS Band Saw, SS Jointer, SS Belt Sander, SS Power Station, SS DC3300
texomawood
Gold Member

Post by texomawood »

be very careful using re-cycled wood. You can hit a nail, screw or something else and damage a blade or have a missile. You might be better off buying cheap soft wood at lumber yard or even at the box stores.
If you use recycled wood check it with a magnet before cutting.
saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

I don't know your interest area, but if projects are small, you can buy finished hardwood from Menards or such and not die from the cost. I made a bagel cutting guide from some scrap maple and a mahogany board I bought. Now I have made/will make a few items from that scrap. I have also used scrap pine for wind spinners to practice rip cuts.

I found a retired mill operator and bought some walnut, hackberry, and butternut out of his stores, but he gave me a squirrely block that i used for this band saw box. I have not tried it out, but there is a furniture maker that runs an add for cutoffs at $5 a bucket.

Good luck with your journey into WW. Be safe.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
woodhead52
Gold Member

Post by woodhead52 »

texomawood wrote:be very careful using re-cycled wood. You can hit a nail, screw or something else and damage a blade or have a missile. You might be better off buying cheap soft wood at lumber yard or even at the box stores.
If you use recycled wood check it with a magnet before cutting.
Funny I was just thinking about that this morning before I opened your post. Thanks for the warning, it's a definitely a good point. During my construction years we repaired many a damaged building, which often meant reusing some of the lumber, etc. that was in good shape. One learns pretty early on to check well for old nails, etc, and even then you miss a few. I don't think we ever used a magnet, but I did know people who used metal detectors. I like the magnet idea. I guess it needs to be a pretty strong one.
saminmn wrote:I don't know your interest area, but if projects are small, you can buy finished hardwood from Menards or such and not die from the cost. I made a bagel cutting guide from some scrap maple and a mahogany board I bought. Now I have made/will make a few items from that scrap. I have also used scrap pine for wind spinners to practice rip cuts.

I found a retired mill operator and bought some walnut, hackberry, and butternut out of his stores, but he gave me a squirrely block that i used for this band saw box. I have not tried it out, but there is a furniture maker that runs an add for cutoffs at $5 a bucket.

Good luck with your journey into WW. Be safe.
Thanks for sharing your projects. I looked through your thread and really enjoyed it. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open and an ear to the ground for good wood deals. I really have so much to learn, but that's what i like about it.
Woodhead