Headstock Rebuild

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Headstock Rebuild

Post by billmayo »

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but I have several suggestions if they do not get deleted:

1. Within the past year, there has been a lot of excellant videos made on how to repair, overhaul and maintain the Mark V headstock. I would recommend you order the 2 disc DVD or VHS tape from Jacob Anderson on "Repairing your Shopsmith Headstock" and "Repairing the Shopsmith Motor" for ($29.95 + $3.00 shipping) email at jacobvb@yahoo.com or from Ebay (jacobvb_the_s_smith_doc) . Jacob Anderson has a new DVD or VHS tape called Tuneup & repair your Shopsmith Bandsaw ($19.95 + $3.00 shipping). This is an excellent video for learning how to repair and adjust the bandsaw. Theses videos plus "The Shopsmith Journals by Rick Davis" from Shopsmith should be in every serious Shopsmith owners library. The on-line Sawdust Sessions has some excellant videos covering repair and maintenance.

2. The Shopsmith headstock was designed in the early 1950s and is a very simple machine. A means of changing bearings, some snap-ring pliers and a couple of allen wrenches is about all the special tools you need to rebuild a headstock. There are plenty of procedures and instructions available on-line. Many of us will answer any questions asked on the Forum.

3. If time is critical and money is tight, I would recommend buying a good used headstock ($200-$350) from an excellant Ebay seller and then take the time to rebuild yours at a later date for a spare or use on a MINI. I would be happy to recommend a couple sellers for any one interested. If you can spare a week without the headstock, please contact Jacob Anderson as he can tell you the time involved to rebuild your headstock.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

don't forget that shopsmith has a "loaner" program where they will ship you a headstock and you use the packaging to return yours for repair. then you eventually send their's back or buy it.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
leightym
Bronze Member

Post by leightym »

Bill -

Thanks so much for the info. I've also seen folks on eBay that do repair / upgrade deals. Too bad there isn't anyone out there that would do an exchange for a fee - take mine in for a rebuild and return an already rebuilt unit. My serial number is a low one though so maybe it has collectable value to someone? It is definitely a quality piece of equipment as it has been (except for the moter replacement) working steady since the early 50's. That is really hard to beat.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

"Too bad there isn't anyone out there that would do an exchange for a fee"

shopsmith does that.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
JPG
Platinum Member

headstock rebuild

Post by JPG »

Sure they do! Makes sense if you reside in OHIO! I believe the thread starter resides in WASHINGTON! That is quite a few more miles to pay shipping on.

Pay attention to what Bill Mayo said. The task is not really that difficult (sometimes maddening however) if you have the tools listed. Only slightly more difficult if you have to "improvise".

1955 means a "greenie" that did not have an access hole (they call it that, but a peep hole is a more accurate description). Bill Mayo
can tell you how to create one.

The parts list in a previous post is accurate, but does not include any "bad" parts you might discover once you disassemble it (or screw up during the process).

Your worst problem MAY be separating pieces which have been "stuck" together for 1/2 a century. Do NOT use a steel hammer to knock things apart.....slow & easy does it...kerosene it a good penetrating fluid.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
leightym
Bronze Member

Post by leightym »

Thanks to everyone that have chimed in here with help and advise. I looked up the repair service I mentioned on eBay and found out that it is none other than the same Jacob Anderson that makes the DVD's several of you have been recomending. As a frequent eBay seller myself I was VERY impressed to see that he has a feedback of 100% over 2200 transactions - a major testimony to the quality of his work. I'm going to email him and get a quote for the work I need done and I'll report it back here when I hear back from him.

Michael

To see his repair and service listing see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 26_fvi%3D1
retcaptb
Gold Member

West Coast Repair Center

Post by retcaptb »

Awhile back I read somewhere that Battels Hardware in Whitter, Ca. has been selling Shopsmith's and repairing them for a long time. You might Goggle them to get there web site or someone on this forum might have it. Good luck in getting back up to speed. :p
Jim, Grass Valley, Ca.

Update: Here is there web site: http://www.battels.com/ . Look for the services button and it gives you there info. Good Luck JB
maxwell
Silver Member

Testimonial for Jacob

Post by maxwell »

Good (Cold!) Day!
I had my early-80's SS headstock rebuilt by Mr. A in October. I'd bought it well-used on eBay 10 yrs. ago and have put MANY hours on it myself. I THOUGHT my good ol' SS was a sweet machine, but after Jacob rebuilt it, I could NOT believe how far-off original my machine was. My speed was WAY off-now I have true slow (~700 RPM). It was getting quite LOUD, but I didn't know it, as I've never heard a new one run...
AND, talk about smooth! WOW! New bearings and belts, adjusted to proper tolerances, cleaned and lubed IT's LIKE A DIFFERENT MACHINE!!
Much less expensive option than SS, too! I know I coulda probably taken some time, and done it myself with videos, but I'm a better woodworker than mechanic, anyway. AND, I was without my machine for only 9 days! Yep, the biggest pain was packing the thing in two nesting boxes, but I'm a big boy and got over it!
Jacob was ALWAYS patient with my questions and concerns and quite friendly, to boot! All said, I'd do it again in a heart beat! Now, where DID I lay that bowl gouge...?
leightym
Bronze Member

Post by leightym »

Jacob has been very helpful so far. I'm confident in my mechanic abilities and so I'm going to try and do the work myself rather than ship the headstock ocross country and back - I just can't see giving UPS ~$100 for that. We'll see how it goes. Everyone I've read feedback about him so far says he is really helpful so if I run into trouble he should be able to help me through it.:cool: