Power Station vibration tamed!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

My Power Station Vibration - Not Yet Tamed

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:Hi Guys and thanks for all the info. I just got a Power Station yesterday with a strip sander. I will have to read through this entire thread again to catch up. The variator on mine moves very well and I don't think that the vibration is all that bad. The belts do seem to be quite loose but I will have to read the book completely to find out how to do an adjustment.
The speed changes very easily and runs from about 800 RPM to 4000 RPM which is reasonably close to what the book specs.
Will probably crank on it again this evening.
Will also be picking the brain trust in the future.
Bill V

Since you are happy with the speed changes and the noise level, I strongly recommend that you now make any changes yet. Instead, take the cover off and study (maybe take pictures for future reference) of everything. Make specific note of pulley positions at high and low speed.

At low speed, the lower sheave on mine just barely clears the stand. The variator changes positions on the shaft as you change speeds]Hmmm, I might have exchanged the belts when I put it back together.

The belts do flop a lot which has to be a major contributor to the vibration. Get a feel for what is normal before you begin trying to eliminate that floppiness. If you upset your current balance - it can be a long road back to "normal".
[/SIZE]
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tomsalwasser wrote:I'm still intrigued with the notion of somehow fitting a DVR motor (somebody mentioned one recently in a distant thread) into the power station to eliminate all the pulleys and belts.

If you are thinking that way, I suggest you consider selling your Power Station and building a mini (or shorty) with the PowerPro headstock.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I just recorded a video that is intended to show how the vibration levels are related to the noise level.

I did not narrate. I simply changed speeds a couple times to show noise and vibration levels.

I do not have an SPT attached.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Dusty, I just tried to watch your video and got the message "This video is private".
Please adjust the privacy setting.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rpd wrote:Dusty, I just tried to watch your video and got the message "This video is private".
Please adjust the privacy setting.
It was never tagged Private but I think you attempted to view it before it was "Published". I posted it without completing the process.

You should be able to view it now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

dusty wrote:If you are thinking that way, I suggest you consider selling your Power Station and building a mini (or shorty) with the PowerPro headstock.
I agree, sort of. A mini or shorty would be the best solution but the power pro would not be necessary. The standard SS motor and speed control is wonderful. The Power Station speed control and transmission is clunky in comparison. But I have it so I use it, noise, vibration and all. But some day this DVR motor will come down to a couple hundred bucks and some clever sawdust maker will figure how to make it run a power station.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re:

Post by jsburger »

tomsalwasser wrote:
dusty wrote:If you are thinking that way, I suggest you consider selling your Power Station and building a mini (or shorty) with the PowerPro headstock.
I agree, sort of. A mini or shorty would be the best solution but the power pro would not be necessary. The standard SS motor and speed control is wonderful. The Power Station speed control and transmission is clunky in comparison. But I have it so I use it, noise, vibration and all. But some day this DVR motor will come down to a couple hundred bucks and some clever sawdust maker will figure how to make it run a power station.
The answer is here today. It is called a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD). It is a controller to obtain variable speed from a standard 230 V 3 phase motor. Don't freak out yet! The controller will take a standard 110 V 1 PH input and convert it to 230 V 3 PH output to run the motor. You do need what is called an "Inverter Duty" motor because standard motors are not designed to run at variable speeds. As a result when you slow them down you don't get adequate cooling.

The drive has a digital readout and can be set for constant torque among a whole host of other things and you get a digital readout of motor speed.

The controller for a SS Power Station is under $200 depending on motor size. The controller for a 1/2 HP motor is $100 and the motors are cheap also. The motors have standard frames so they are drop in replacements for the SS motor. Check out http://www.automationdirect.com.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
billmayo
Platinum Member

Re: Power Station vibration tamed!

Post by billmayo »

I found the 3 HP 3 phase motor that fits inside the motor pan and the 3 HP three phase converter was over $500 for me when I tested this setup many years ago. I believed this was a perfect power source for the headstock. I mounted the 3 phase box inside the left leg and mounted the control panel on the speed control dial location. I could not sell the Shopsmith headstock to any of my customers at that time so sold the motor/controller package to a metal lathe owner.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

billmayo wrote:I found the 3 HP 3 phase motor that fits inside the motor pan and the 3 HP three phase converter was over $500 for me when I tested this setup many years ago. I believed this was a perfect power source for the headstock. I mounted the 3 phase box inside the left leg and mounted the control panel on the speed control dial location. I could not sell the Shopsmith headstock to any of my customers at that time so sold the motor/controller package to a metal lathe owner.
Yes, when you get to larger HP motors the controllers are more expensive but prices have com down from 4 or 5 years ago. Three HP is over kill for a power station. Depending on what you use on the power station 3/4 HP is more than adequate. The controllers are pretty cheap for anything under 1 HP. Wiring is dead simple, connect the motors wires to the controller and plug the controller into the wall socket. Set the controller for constant torque and it will work just fine.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Since I had the remains of a Power Station from shipping damage, I mounted the Mark V headstock on it with a 3/4 HP Mark V reversible motor. I use it as a joiner/planer knife sharpening station at this time. I have a Mark V 500 table with the legs rewelded for the SPT holes on this Power Station. It allows me to tilt the table to get a better sharpening angle on the blades. I use the Shopsmith Planer/Joiner Knife Sharpener and conical sanding disk.