Power Station vibration tamed!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Is it the Rack and Shaft (56) moving back and forth between the Left Guide (54) and the Right Guide (55) that you are referring to? If so, we have some differences. There does not appear to be any adverse movement of that part in either of my machines.

The visible vibration that I see (when the machines is the noisiest) is in the sheaves and that tames down some when the speed changer is locked. My belts also "flop" more than I would like and this seems to be directly related to level of noise.
That flopping I believe is due to belt set. That is why I think belt dressing helps. The dressing needs to be applied to the inner surfaces of the belt more so than the outer periphery.

Well now this has gotten more challenging! Dusty, your numbers are different from mine. Apparently there are more than one manual versions. My left/right guides are 51/52 and the rack and shaft is 53. PN 515637/515707 and 515635. 515640 is the part I am suspicious of now. I do not think it is cotrect in the first one I have. The second one does seem to be quieter. Cover shall come off #2 soon. Gotta go cancel SWMBO's vote.:D

Opps this is a primary, not possible, we be choosing from different ballots.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG40504 wrote:That flopping I believe is due to belt set. That is why I think belt dressing helps. The dressing needs to be applied to the inner surfaces of the belt more so than the outer periphery.

Well now this has gotten more challenging! Dusty, your numbers are different from mine. Apparently there are more than one manual versions. My left/right guides are 51/52 and the rack and shaft is 53. PN 515637/515707 and 515635. 515640 is the part I am suspicious of now. I do not think it is cotrect in the first one I have. The second one does seem to be quieter. Cover shall come off #2 soon. Gotta go cancel SWMBO's vote.:D

Opps this is a primary, not possible, we be choosing from different ballots.:rolleyes:
So it sounds as if the "rack and shaft" slop is specific to your machine. In which case I would concur with your suspicion that the PO screwed something up.

My exploded view and part numbers are the same as yours. Here's a pic of mine, showing the link belts on the pulleys.

[ATTACH]25083[/ATTACH]

And here's a closeup peering over the variator pulley (59) and the rack (53). You can see the top of the pinion gear (48) in the background.

[ATTACH]25084[/ATTACH]

Note the flange on the right side of the pinion. On my machine, when you tighten the clamp knob (41), that flange engages the right side of the rack (53) and clamps it up tight against the Left Guide (51). Hence no slop.

Any chance that your pinion-gear flange is missing? Or perhaps the gear is installed backwards?
Attachments
Link belts.jpg
Link belts.jpg (88.99 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Pinion gear.jpg
Pinion gear.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:So it sounds as if the "rack and shaft" slop is specific to your machine.

Note the flange on the right side of the pinion. On my machine, when you tighten the clamp knob (41), that flange engages the right side of the rack (53) and clamps it up tight against the Left Guide (51). Hence no slop.

Any chance that your pinion-gear flange is missing? Or perhaps the gear is installed backwards?

Am I to understand that the guides moves when the speed change lock is applied?

I also suspect that the link belts play a big part in making our two machines perform so differently.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote:Am I to understand that the guides moves when the speed change lock is applied?

I also suspect that the link belts play a big part in making our two machines perfrom differently.
No, the "guides" (51 & 52 on JPG's drawing) are fixed. The pinion gear moves to the left when the clamp knob is tightened, drawn in by the speed control shaft (46) via the screw (73) and bushing (44), I believe. The flange on the pinion gear pulls the rack to the left, and forces it up tight against the left guide. This leaves a gap between the rack and the right guide, but no matter, the rack is now rigidly clamped between the left guide and the pinion-gear flange.

Your suspicion about the link belts is well founded. That was the first thing that I tried, based on posts by Bill Mayo. I would estimate that they cut the racket by about half, in the case of my machine.

The stiffener brackets were added later, and brought the NVH (Noise Vibration, and Harshness) to a level that I found quite acceptable.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:No, the "guides" (51 & 52 on JPG's drawing) are fixed. The pinion gear moves to the left when the clamp knob is tightened, drawn in by the speed control shaft (46) via the screw (73) and bushing (44), I believe. The flange on the pinion gear pulls the rack to the left, and forces it up tight against the left guide. This leaves a gap between the rack and the right guide, but no matter, the rack is now rigidly clamped between the left guide and the pinion-gear flange.

Your suspicion about the link belts is well founded. That was the first thing that I tried, based on posts by Bill Mayo. I would estimate that they cut the racket by about half, in the case of my machine.

The stiffener brackets were added later, and brought the NVH (Noise Vibration, and Harshness) to a level that I found quite acceptable.

There are two 44s. They are located on opposing ends of the square speed control shaft (46). It was my thought that when these are pulled together they function like brakes (working against the Main Housing).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote:There are two 44s. They are located on opposing ends of the square speed control shaft (46). It was my thought that when these are pulled together they function like brakes (working against the Main Housing).
If my "theory of operation" is correct, then the flange on the right-side bushing (44) would never contact the main housing. The flange would be there only because it is needed when the part is used as a left-side bushing. I'm at work right now -- are you where you can check yours?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:If my "theory of operation" is correct, then the flange on the right-side bushing (44) would never contact the main housing. The flange would be there only because it is needed when the part is used as a left-side bushing. I'm at work right now -- are you where you can check yours?

I am but right now I only have the Crafter's Station to look at. I'll look at the Power Station as soon as I can; won't be today or tomorrow.

The one bushing bares against the outside of the Main Housing while the other is at the other end (inside) of the square shaft where it bares against the casting on the inside. The pinion gear appears to be on the other side of that casting.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="dusty"]I am but right now I only have the Crafter's Station to look at. I'll look at the Power Station as soon as I can]
A couple pictures to tell the story.

[ATTACH]25091[/ATTACH]
Speed Control Mechanism

This mechanism is loose and can be moved back and forth when unlocked but is "rock solid" when locked.

[ATTACH]25092[/ATTACH]
Speed Control Unlocked

[ATTACH]25093[/ATTACH]
Speed Control Locked
Attachments
Power Station Speed Control Mechanism.JPG
Power Station Speed Control Mechanism.JPG (89.86 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Power Station Speed Control Unlocked.JPG
Power Station Speed Control Unlocked.JPG (74.34 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Power Station Speed Control Locked.JPG
Power Station Speed Control Locked.JPG (75.91 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Great photos, Dusty! Looks like I need a camera upgrade. :o

But I do believe that we have kicked the ball squarely into JPG's court. :cool:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Great photos, Dusty! Looks like I need a camera upgrade. :o

But I do believe that we have kicked the ball squarely into JPG's court. :cool:
Yep! Now I need to get to #1 and take a parts inventory! I think it is missing some 'stuff'. That will take a couple of days. #2 looks like Dusty's.

Pix will be a problem as I lost my camera today(please do not ask:mad:).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange