New to this site and have questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

New to this site and have questions

Post by pieceseeker »

Hello everyone! I do not own a SS ......yet. I need convincing that the SS is the way to go. Yes, I have a small work area, approx. 13'x 10', so that passes the smell test. It is a 2 sided screened in porch area with 2 brick walls on the interior, need to enclose and rewire for outlet...220v.
My main concern is the precision possible with the table saw. I have a fine DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw for long stock, so that's covered.

I'm looking at the new Mark 7. I've read a lot of the pro's and con's here and elsewhere in the forums. My dad bought a Mark 5 back in the 90's, didn't like it and let it go for a song. Don't know if it was a 510 or 520, maybe it didn't have the table upgrades, I just don't know. I don't think my dad was much of a woodworker, but loved building things...God rest his soul. My Mom once commented that he was a "botcher", God rest her soul. I don't think he really knew how to set up a saw to cut accurately, or to pay attention to the fine details of woodworking.

Anyway, I would like to hear from SS woodworkers about the real abilities of the new SS. I'm not only interested in the tablesaw portion, but also the abilities of the other 4 tool setups of the SS and any of its accessories available.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

You can definitely do precision work on the Shopsmith. Like any other tool, it comes to proper alignment, maintenance, and user technique. The tilting table and a single tool changing over to the various functions requires a different way of thinking about things compared to a shop full of standalone equipment. But even if you have a large shop of standalone equipment, you still have to think out your processes. And if you plan things out right on the Shopsmith, you can make use of your setups across functions. Set up for a cut with the table saw, then use the same set up for sanding or drilling for example. For me, the titlting table is the biggest challenge. But with your sliding compound miter saw, it might not be an issue for you.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

What about the other tools on the new Mark 7. The router, shaper, and accessories like the planer, bandsaw, joiner, how to they rate in performance and quality compared to other brands?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pieceseeker wrote:Hello everyone! I do not own a SS ......yet. I need convincing that the SS is the way to go. Yes, I have a small work area, approx. 13'x 10', so that passes the smell test. It is a 2 sided screened in porch area with 2 brick walls on the interior, need to enclose and rewire for outlet...220v.
My main concern is the precision possible with the table saw. I have a fine DeWalt sliding compound mitre saw for long stock, so that's covered.

I'm looking at the new Mark 7. I've read a lot of the pro's and con's here and elsewhere in the forums. My dad bought a Mark 5 back in the 90's, didn't like it and let it go for a song. Don't know if it was a 510 or 520, maybe it didn't have the table upgrades, I just don't know. I don't think my dad was much of a woodworker, but loved building things...God rest his soul. My Mom once commented that he was a "botcher", God rest her soul. I don't think he really knew how to set up a saw to cut accurately, or to pay attention to the fine details of woodworking.

Anyway, I would like to hear from SS woodworkers about the real abilities of the new SS. I'm not only interested in the tablesaw portion, but also the abilities of the other 4 tool setups of the SS and any of its accessories available.

I do not have a Mark 7. I do have a few earlier versions.

If buying new, the Mark 7 is a no-brainer(not enough $ difference to not go all the way).

It is called a Mark 7 because it has 7 major tool setups. The Mark 5/V five and under table shaping/routing(a decent argument can be made that the added two are essentially one).

The major decision is whether to get any Shopsmith.

I conclude from your comments that your father's experience has been reconciled. They do require some accommodation(as do stand alone stuff but differently).

At the present time RLF (SS) appears to be on firm footing. That has not been the case in the not so distant past.

As to the 'effectiveness' of SS vs other, that is a personal attitude issue.

Most here would agree that the craftsman makes the difference, not the tools.

Assuming you would eventually come the the same 'understanding' as 'most' of those frequenting here, you will not regret getting a Mark 7. JMHO
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

pieceseeker wrote:Hello everyone! I do not own a SS ......yet. I need convincing that the SS is the way to go. Yes, I have a small work area, approx. 13'x 10', so that passes the smell test. It is a 2 sided screened in porch area with 2 brick walls on the interior, need to enclose and rewire for outlet...220v.

To me the real question is how experienced are you in woodworking? If you are experienced and know you need a jointer, planner, drill press, lathe, bandsaw and such you will never get them all into your space and still have room to work. So in that aspect yes a SS would be right for you.

However if you are fairly new at woodworking and are just looking for a saw to make repairs and perhaps play around with a lathe and such you can do this far cheaper than a new Shopsmith. And you probably should go that way at least until you know enough about woodworking to answer this question for yourself.

As far as precision goes the SS is more than capable, but at a cost, you have to adjust and maintain where a standalone table saw is basically initial adjustment and you are good to go.

Turth be told most of us would perfer individual stand alone machines but few of us have the room to adquately use them so we have gone to SS to get around the room issue.

Sure there are those of us that have 100x100 workshops that swear by SS but in most cases these are guys that like trying this and that with the SS to see if they can do it.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Thanks JPG40504

Post by pieceseeker »

I was thinking along the same lines, that if I bought a used machine, by the time I do upgrades, restorations(cleanup, parts, time), I would likely end up spending close to a new unit anyway. The only difference is the number of accessories a used unit may come with and do they need work!
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Being able to vary the speed of the motor on the PowerPro from 250 to 10,000 forwards or backwards at the push of a button for all operations makes up for any shortcomings the SS may have compared to other standalone tools in my opinion. If you do a lot of drill press work, acquiring a used 60 year old 10ER dedicated to just drill press work for around $150 would eliminated one of the shortcomings I'm referring to.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pieceseeker wrote:What about the other tools on the new Mark 7. The router, shaper, and accessories like the planer, bandsaw, joiner, how to they rate in performance and quality compared to other brands?

The jointer is small. The bandsaw is small. The scroll saw is good. The planer is excellent! The belt sander is better than excellent! The strip sander is also good. Routing is a matter of opinion(kinda slow compared to hand held routers). Shaping is also a bit slow(molder is a different animal). Slowness is partly offset by the Mark 7 top speed.

All that said(as partly opinion) the quality and durability(and repairability if eventually needed) are good(better than much that is out there today).

Now there is no way to equate it all with a shop full of excellent stand alone tools. We would all like to drive a rolls(or be driven in one:D), but that is not attainable for most of us.

Now you asked for an opinion from 'opinionated' folks. There are also those opinions of folks with no hands on experience with any SS.

I leave it for you to decide which to 'listen' to.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Ed in Tampa wrote:To me the real question is how experienced are you in woodworking? If you are experienced and know you need a jointer, planner, drill press, lathe, bandsaw and such you will never get them all into your space and still have room to work. So in that aspect yes a SS would be right for you.

However if you are fairly new at woodworking and are just looking for a saw to make repairs and perhaps play around with a lathe and such you can do this far cheaper than a new Shopsmith. And you probably should go that way at least until you know enough about woodworking to answer this question for yourself.

As far as precision goes the SS is more than capable, but at a cost, you have to adjust and maintain where a standalone table saw is basically initial adjustment and you are good to go.

Turth be told most of us would perfer individual stand alone machines but few of us have the room to adquately use them so we have gone to SS to get around the room issue.

Sure there are those of us that have 100x100 workshops that swear by SS but in most cases these are guys that like trying this and that with the SS to see if they can do it.
I have not done much woodworking, mainly because of time issues (I work alot), but I have done some in the past. I am 60 (can't hardly believe it myself), live in a duplex that I own and am remodeling one side right now, but have visions of doing cabinet work and furniture pieces as time permits. I am in excellent health, so I should have 20 years or so to "play around" with woodworking. Given the longevity of the SS, it should last the rest of my life. I would like to start off by building some top quality jigs as beginning practice
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The SPT's have changed little over time. For the most part, all of them are compatible with the mark 7. They can be obtained used, and yes that can be a crap shoot, but all are repairable.

I do not know what brand CMS you have, but my Ridgid is presently a boat anchor(not a very good anchor either) since I cannot get a drive train part for a less than 10 yr old saw!:mad:

One caveat. Lately SS has been responding in a like manner. However most(not all) major parts are still 'in production' even for half century old models.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝