Mark VII - Another journey begins

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

JPG

I probably have overlooked it, but did you break down the base addressing the lift mechanism? I need to see how this functions? The ones on this unit don't seem to work. The unit is still in the back of my pickup. Before I jack up the base, I am wondering what I am getting into.

P.S. The speed cam seems to be in good shape but nylon can look good and still be brittle with age. The rack is the same and has been exposed to the sun too long maybe.

Thanks

Don G
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

Thanks for sharing....It almost like being able to look over your sholder
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgreen810 wrote:JPG

I probably have overlooked it, but did you break down the base addressing the lift mechanism? I need to see how this functions? The ones on this unit don't seem to work. The unit is still in the back of my pickup. Before I jack up the base, I am wondering what I am getting into.

P.S. The speed cam seems to be in good shape but nylon can look good and still be brittle with age. The rack is the same and has been exposed to the sun too long maybe.

Thanks

Don G
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=11385

First link!;) Title not obvious!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
riddler
Gold Member

Mark VII base reassembly

Post by riddler »

JPG

If I remember correctly you are close to getting that sucker back together. I look forward to seeing the completion of the rarely restored Mark VII!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

riddler wrote:JPG

If I remember correctly you are close to getting that sucker back together. I look forward to seeing the completion of the rarely restored Mark VII!

Don't I wish! Have not had time(and good weather) to get on with that. I ran into a stumbling block with the motor belt. I still have to determine what the proper length belt is. I need to check different lengths out with careful observation of what is happening inside with the idler shaft etc. and the floating sheave as well as some speed measurements.

I have not started disassembly of the base since I want to have the upper stuff done first. The base should be simple, but I may(very likely will) modify the vacuum bag compartment to store attachments etc. The vac will dump to the DC when(if) used.

Yes it has been a long winter!

I still would like to acquire some of the SS logo parts which are plastic and chipped or cracked. Purely cosmetic, but better ones would be a nice touch.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
riddler
Gold Member

Mark VII plastic bits

Post by riddler »

JPG,

I suspect you keep an eye on Ebay offerings for Mark VII components. Not sure which plastic elements you require, but there is currently listed a Mark VII inspection medallion if you are in. I find that it is usually one of the way tube end cap logos that is MIA, however. If you are lucky enough to have all the badgework, they are often cracked or otherwise compromised, generally due to adhesive bleed- through on the reverse painted plastic. Let me know which ones you are on the hunt for and I will keep my eyes open.

Riddler