Quill parts missing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

onevw
Gold Member

Quill parts missing (Solved)

Post by onevw »

I removed the quill and found I have no plastic part on the end where the splined shaft is exiting the quill tube. Did some units come without this part? And yes I think it is a single bearing type. This is a V series head made in 82 we think
RICK
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

onevw wrote:I removed the quill and found I have no plastic part on the end where the splined shaft is exiting the quill tube. Did some units come without this part? And yes I think it is a single bearing type.
RICK
The old gilmer style drive (Greenie) did not use the plastic drive ring.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

onevw wrote:I removed the quill and found I have no plastic part on the end where the splined shaft is exiting the quill tube. Did some units come without this part? And yes I think it is a single bearing type. This is a V series head made in 82 we think
RICK
Hi,

Not sure that I understand the question. The quill will not have a plastic part on the splines at the open end of the quill housing. If there is one then I'd have to guess it is the drive and ring assembly (514083).

If we are talking about the same part, a white-ish plastic part that slides along the splines of the quill, it has a retention ring that will/should hold it on the drive assembly further inside the machine. When the quill comes out it stays inside.

Pictures sure would help if you can get some.

Ed
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

SDSSmith wrote:The old gilmer style drive (Greenie) did not use the plastic drive ring.
Both of my Greenies (1956, 1959) have them
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
onevw
Gold Member

Found part in head

Post by onevw »

OK You are right
I saw a PIC of the quill and it had this plastic part attached to it in the pic. after getting it apart I saw the part in question attached a shaft in the machine. So all parts are here.
Thank
RICK
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

Rick,
Here is a link off a sticky that I think you will find a lot of information along with videos that include Nick Engler's Saw Dust Sessions from 2008. In one Nick removes the plastic splined piece off the drive sleeve assembly. He mentioned that some of the plastic pieces get stripped. Looks like an easy fix.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=5092

This is actually the first time I've ever seen this "sticky" link and actually checked it out. A lot of good information.

Tony
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…