Disc sander table insert

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Disc sander table insert

Post by hjlssfor1 »

I have a model 510 but no disc sander table insert. Is there anything about the construction of that insert that makes it not suitable for making one on your own? If not, can anyone provide dimensions as to the opening? Any advice as to material from which to make it?

Thanks, Hank
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

The disc sander doesn't use one because the table isn't supposed to drop over the top, just butt up the edge.
(unless something has recently been changed that I haven't seen yet)
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

wiredone wrote:The disc sander doesn't use one because the table isn't supposed to drop over the top, just butt up the edge.
(unless something has recently been changed that I haven't seen yet)
Last week's special offer included a sander insert for the table, but it wasn't available for the 500 - only the 505, 510, 510 and Mark 7.

If you can make a zero clearance insert for the saw blade (and you can) I can't see any reason why you could make one for the sander.

The sander disk is 12" vs the saw being 10", but you can probably widen it no problem if you was more of the sanding disk exposed. They caution it is for use with the current metal disk, not the aluminum disk which I believe is wider.

Here is a picture, it is free with the current sanding special (free after spending $146 that is)