Difficult to Understand

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Difficult to Understand

Post by dusty »

I recently ordered two counter sink bits from Lee Valley.

Two days later, I was able to find tracking information. Today I decided to follow up.

UPS Tracking shows that the order left Syracuse, NY on 9/1/2012 and finally arrived in Hodgkins, IL on 9/5/2012. That must be about 600 miles in 5 days. Brownie must be walking.

At this rate, I might get these before Christmas.

UNBELIEVEABLE
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

Oxes pulling their carts have to stop and eat every now and then...
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

It is not just UPS, here is a recent one I had with USPS. Note the U-turn at Greensboro. Wonder why the post office is losing money.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Just an observation on the delay and not making excuses for UPS, but maybe the slowness stems from it being the Labor Day weekend and I don't think UPS picks up on Saturday. Also I learned recently while tracing an item that the initial date on the shipment starts when the seller prints out a shipping label from the computer, not when the carrier picks up the items.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pennview wrote:Just an observation on the delay and not making excuses for UPS, but maybe the slowness stems from it being the Labor Day weekend and I don't think UPS picks up on Saturday. Also I learned recently while tracing an item that the initial date on the shipment starts when the seller prints out a shipping label from the computer, not when the carrier picks up the items.
Yes, possible explanation but even with the holiday there were three work days involved during that period.

It is now four days later and I still do not have the drill bits.

Maybe next week.

Only lesson to be learned is do not count on quick delivery unless you pay for it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
timsturnings
Gold Member

Post by timsturnings »

Are you sure that your order was sent UPS or was it sent FedEx? FedEx has a choice of "Smart Post", that is very, very slow. I believe it is the cheapest of the ways to ship. Harbor Freight uses this method as does some other vendors I purchased from. It is very slow. Maybe that is your problem.
If it is actually UPS then I have never had an issue like that with them. JMO.
Seven days without turning makes one weak. :o
1952 Shopsmith 10er(restored)with Speedchanger,1952 Craftsman 10" table saw,Jet 1014 lathe(VS),HF VS 95607 Lathe,Craftsman Drill Press,55 Gal. Tornado Dust Collection System,Shop Wide Overhead Vac piping,WC slow-speed grinder,Wolverine sharp. system,Grizzly GO580 14" Bandsaw,Rikon Disk/Belt sander,HF Pressure Pot, JB 7 CFM Vac pump,TurnTex Stabilizing Chamber. (My 16' X 20' shop is full to the gills)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

timsturnings wrote:Are you sure that your order was sent UPS or was it sent FedEx? FedEx has a choice of "Smart Post", that is very, very slow. I believe it is the cheapest of the ways to ship. Harbor Freight uses this method as does some other vendors I purchased from. It is very slow. Maybe that is your problem.
If it is actually UPS then I have never had an issue like that with them. JMO.
It is definitely coming UPS and it really is not an issue. I did not pay for expedited shipping so I am ready to accept whatever happens (in terms of time). It is just frustrating.

My grand son-in-law just drove from Anchorage in less time than that and he stopped everywhere to take pictures.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

My Lee Valley order left Syracuse on 9/1/2012 and was delivered to me on 9/6/2012. If Pony Express to San Antonio takes five days I reckon you'll be seeing your order tomorrow if it didn't arrive on Friday.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

dusty wrote: Hodgkins, IL
I guess they re opened the I&M canal thats what took so long
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I have received some small packages that were sent UPS and delivered by my mail lady. Both packages took a long time getting here. She told me that both ups and fed-ex are using the usps to deliver some of their shipments. Go figure!!!! Suppose this is a good deal for all three shippers. The first two save money and the last one gains some. Everyone is having hard times.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA