Dead/drive center for Shopsmith?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Culprit
Gold Member

Dead/drive center for Shopsmith?

Post by Culprit »

I have been enjoying making pens. Several penturners turn pens between the centers, and it does offer more flexibility than using a mandrel.

Does anyone know where I can find a dead/drive center for the Shopsmith? A 60 degree cone is preferred, but not required.
1955 Greenie, modified to be reversible
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Culprit;
I think that you should check here;
Craft Supplies USA
Penn State Industries http://www.pennstateind.com/
Eagle America.
Woodcraft http://woodcraft.com/
And there others that also may be able to help. Many of the pen turning supply houses also have some tooling components in their catalog.
Bill V
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

dead center

Post by RobertTaylor »

i made mine from corian. i glued two pieces together to make a one inch square about four inches long. i mounted that between the shopsmith centers and turned it round, then turned about an inch and a half of it down to a half inch in diameter. i then put that in the shopsmith router chuck ( you could also use your drill chuck) and turned a taper on the oposite end. it's not sixty degrees but it works just fine. you could also turn it from brass or aluminum, but corian is what i had on hand.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

I have 2 one made from hard maple 8/4 stock, the other made from delrin. I plan on another made from 6061 aluminum.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
Culprit
Gold Member

Post by Culprit »

Bill V, thanks for the list. I have already checked most of those, but there are one or two on that list that are new to me. The one's I've already looked at don't have them for the 5/8 ths quill, and I would rather not use an adapter since every link you add to the chain increased the error/tolerance budget.

Terry and Bob, thank you - making one may be the best option.
1955 Greenie, modified to be reversible
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Culprit wrote:The one's I've already looked at don't have them for the 5/8 ths quill, and I would rather not use an adapter
Wouldn't the dead center be tapered and go into the tail stock?
Am I just picturing this wrong?
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

dead center

Post by RobertTaylor »

normally you would be correct, but for "mandrel-less" pen turning the guys use use a sixty degree dead center in the headstock to drive the tube. you use a sixty degree "live" center in the tailstock. there are no commerically available sixty degree dead centers that will fit the shopsmith so like others i made my own.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

A router centering pin may work for you in conjunction with the 1/2" Shopsmith router chuck. See -- http://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-19081-Ro ... tering+pin
Art in Western Pennsylvania
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

I see what you are looking for but how does that drive the work? Lathe dog of some sort I assume? Use of a faceplate? Curious but if you really want one we can probably turn one out of steel. You aren't far.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Culprit;
I believe that I misread your original intent. I think that the SS screw center can be used by removing the wood screw and using a bolt or screw to mount a block of wood that can then be turned to a 60 deg point. The set screw can be used to hold the assembly in place but the part would not be ruined in the process.
Bill V