My NOS Mark V 500

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tgamel
Gold Member

My NOS Mark V 500

Post by tgamel »

First, many thanks to all the guys here (Dusty, JPG40504, and more than I can remember) that taught me what to look for and how to inspect a used Mark V before purchasing. I have been looking for a Mark V for some time even before joining the forums here. The information I have learned so far has been invaluable.

So here is my quick Mark V story. After calling about several ads for Shopsmiths in the DFW (Dallas/Ft. Worth) area, I came across an add for a Shopsmith Mark V that simply stated: "Shopsmith 5-in-1, good condition call Jim 903-xxx-xxxx, $600. As he was not to far from my home (about 55 miles) I decided what the heck I would call him and go look. On the phone he told me he was 71, inherited the Mark V from his uncle when he passed away, and after having a heart bypass he could not get around good enough to use the Mark V.

Come to find out when I get there an start talking to him, his uncle purchased the machine new in 1983 (verified by serial number) as he always wanted one. Not long after purchasing he died and it sat at his aunts home in the garage for more than 20 years. When the aunt died it went to Jim. As he had a full shop of other power tools, it sat in his shop untouched until about 5 years ago. He said he used the saw twice when he first got it but as he had no need for it at the time it sat in the back corner of his shop. He stated "It had a bandsaw and some sore of joiner/planer thing", so I was interested. Last year he had a CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) and now cannot get out to his shop to do anymore woodworking so he sold off all his tools, but no one seemed interested in the Mark V.

He had it moved to his garage last year, so to be honest I was not expecting much, but when he opened the garage door and I saw it sitting against the wall with what looked like 2" of dust and cobwebs on it, you should have seen my smile. The way tubes were perfect, no rust, but definately a patina, head stock slide smoothly, pulled it away from the wall and plugged it in just long enough to make sure the motor ran and the speed changer functioned normally. It roared like like a lion, smooth an throathy as I went through the dial, I quickly turned it off.

Then he showed me the accessories, bandsaw and joiner, they both looked brand new. He also had a large cardboard box filled with smaller cardboard boxes all taped up stamped Shopsmith. I was blown away, the coupler for the bandsaw and joiner still in the original clear plastic tube with the lid taped, a dado blade still in the plastic case taped up, wood chisel set in original box, yes you guessed it still taped up!

Anyway, I must admit I felt like Indiana Jones in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' going through all that stuff. After I purchased the machine, Jim told me that i was the only person who looked it, that apparently knew what it was and how it functioned (thanks to you guys). So anyway, got it home, put it in my father-in-laws garage for now. Would love to tear into it and clean and lube the machine but it will have to wait for a few days as I have other plans to help a few friends with a project, and a man is only as good as his word. Posted the pics of my find below, sorry they are from my smartphone.....Thanks again to everyone who helped me find this gem.
Attachments
Mark V-1.jpg
Mark V-1.jpg (129.21 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Mark V-2.jpg
Mark V-2.jpg (128.56 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
Bandsaw Blades NOS.jpg
Bandsaw Blades NOS.jpg (102.11 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
NOS accessories.jpg
NOS accessories.jpg (129.02 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
Accessories Packing List.jpg
Accessories Packing List.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Sweeet ............
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Congratulations Todd. This will make a great foundation for your shop. Slow and Deliberate from here. Don't be too anxious to make sawdust. First:

Clean, Lubricate and Align.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

That's a real beauty and you made a great deal. Looking forward to your future posts about info and your projects. Didn't see a book - hope you have one.:)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

swampgator wrote:That's a real beauty and you made a great deal. Looking forward to your future posts about info and your projects. Didn't see a book - hope you have one.:)
Came with user manual, wood working projects manual and one of the pre-revision editions of "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone." I now have both versions of this book. I even have the instructions for unpacking and setting the Mark V up, now I wonder where the warranty card is? :)
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

dusty wrote:Congratulations Todd. This will make a great foundation for your shop. Slow and Deliberate from here. Don't be too anxious to make sawdust. First:

Clean, Lubricate and Align.
Yup, already learned that from you guys here. Have that planned for Wed and Thursday, simply no time to do it before then. However, I am going to go through the manuals and take inventory on everything inside those taped up boxes.
Todd (Canton, TX)

mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

tgamel wrote:Came with user manual, wood working projects manual and one of the pre-revision editions of "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone." I now have both versions of this book. I even have the instructions for unpacking and setting the Mark V up, now I wonder where the warranty card is? :)
I think there are four or five versions for the Mark 5/Mark V plus one or two for the 10e/10er:D
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

mikelst wrote:I think there are four or five versions for the Mark 5/Mark V plus one or two for the 10e/10er:D
My bad, thought there were only the pre 1984 and post 1984 versions of the book. :o
Todd (Canton, TX)

saminmn
Gold Member

Post by saminmn »

Congrats on the find. I have been following your quest for knowledge and advice. I am envious really, as I had not done any research. Hope it brings you much enjoyment.

Fellow newbie(both to SS and to woodworking for me),
Sam
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

saminmn wrote:Congrats on the find. I have been following your quest for knowledge and advice. I am envious really, as I had not done any research. Hope it brings you much enjoyment.

Fellow newbie(both to SS and to woodworking for me),
Sam
Thanks, right now it is in my father-in-laws garage (we are neighbors). Hope to get all the internals checked, cleaned, lubricated and aligned in the next few days. Going to have to inspect the drive belt carefully. Although it is been used sparingly, the drive belt is 29 years old. Probably need to buy a replacement, as I am not sure if these belts are real prone to dry rot or not.
Todd (Canton, TX)