Do We Need Changes To This Forum

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Should Admin Allow A Thread's Originator To Block/Delete Posts To That Thread

No but we need to make some other changes to the Forum such as...
31%
38%
31%

Total votes: 55

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ashbury wrote:First, you gotta understand that there is a dilemma

Then you gotta concince everyone else that there is no dilemma

Then you gotta convince yourself that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Then you have to convince yourself that is is OK for others to have an opinion without being put down for their thoughts.

Of course there are a few that are never wrong about anything and that brings up another dilemma.

I think someone needs to build a bigger dog house. With a SS of course.

Gee I thought you had 'left'. Not that I wish to see you gone.

Now there are four of 'us' that have gone off topic. Keakap(minimally) Farmer, Myself and thee.

The previous few posts serve as an excellent example of how these meanderings occur.

Physician, heal thyself. The twelfth man. The pot and the kettle. Brain fodder!

Glad to see thy departure was temporary.:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
moose
Gold Member

Post by moose »

As far as being off topic, I am only following the leader which I hope can set a better example in the future for others to follow.

Departure is not temporary. Waiting on Administration to remove me.

Continue your justifications, they amuse me
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ashbury wrote:As far as being off topic, I am only following the leader which I hope can set a better example in the future for others to follow.

Departure is not temporary. Waiting on Administration to remove me.

Continue your justifications, they amuse me
I do not think there is any reason to think Admin has any intention to remove thee. Thy 'right' to an opinion and to be amused at rational writing is not a reason to be removed. Do you disagree with that? If so then perhaps I am wrong.

I learned a long time ago to separate emotion from rationality. Not always successful with that.

I cannot help but wonder if this forum truly no longer meets your needs, why you are lurking(and jumping on me - the only posts since your post # 41 here). Also thee seems to post then logoff, only to reappear a short time later. That is an observation, not a judgement.

I consider this very much on topic. Never mind, what I intended to say will only inflame the differences in perception of this problem.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

OK, first off I think that "Up" was a really cute animated movie with a cute premise... (squirrel distractions of talking dogs).

This thread is a great example of how to climb up on a box and absolutely beat a subject into the ground and still keep hammering on it. :rolleyes:

Now... I have started and operated over a dozen email list groups over about 20 years and can tell you that making even 20% of the members happy all of the time is about as good as it gets. EVERYBODY has there own pet peeves some quite valid and some almost as silly as thinking people should only type with their index fingers.
Email list have about become dinosaurs these days and many have fallen silent. Most folks prefer a forum format like this one and I do too. I have a couple of email groups I hang on to because I like those particular folks and some of them prefer the email format.

I have my own pet peeve, it's politics. Especially the hateful negative kind... I don't know how anyone can be so foolish as to think insulting the other side will magically change their minds and convert them. You just push them farther their own direction. Such post will get you on my ignore list really quick, I don't care which side you are on. :rolleyes: My own group of email list improved 100 times over back when I totally banned political posting fairly early on. When a few couldn't control themselves it only took one click to solve the problem. Instead of a lot of bickering and infighting we all became friends discussing the things we had in common. I did for a time have a group just for politics but it became a place of near total hate with the members basically the same as constantly screaming at each other (through the keyboard). It quickly became something I wanted nothing to do with and when no one else would take it over I deleted it. Ugly ugly place...

I did ask and did receive one change from the administrator here some time back. I asked for the ability to use more emoticons than were allowed before. I think that they can do a lot to avoid misunderstandings of the written words.

There are those on every list / forum that want every post to stay exactly on subject all of the time. I tend to just look past them because frankly I tend to find them to be very boring people. I have always worked at being as broad of a person as I am able to be with hundreds of widely varying interest. I refuse to crawl down a mole tunnel just because some are only interested in moles. :p :D I do usually try to stay on track but sometimes I am not very good at it. There is always some squirrel coming along to distract me. :)

On a side note (see, here I go again) my life has put me in contact many many times with folks at their homes. I love seeing a nice home with everything in place and well manicured. Funny thing though, the guy down the road with a couple of old tractors and an extra old pickup truck out back with the chickens and goats, maybe a horse or two and some odd stuff he is trying to hide behind the shed is usually a lot more interesting to sit down and talk to. :cool: :)

I think things will generally work out better if we let Shopsmith Inc. run Shopsmith Inc. and let the administrator run the forum...

Ok, I'll quit now... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

robinson46176 wrote:I have my own pet peeve, it's politics. Especially the hateful negative kind... I don't know how anyone can be so foolish as to think insulting the other side will magically change their minds and convert them. You just push them farther their own direction. Such post will get you on my ignore list really quick, I don't care which side you are on. :rolleyes:
Amen. Could not have said it better myself.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

robinson46176 wrote:"SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That is just NOT fair!! And, I've STILL got the Ritalin prescription to prove it! :D

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

robinson46176 wrote:OK, first off I think that "Up" was a really cute animated movie with a cute premise... (squirrel distractions of talking dogs).

This thread is a great example of how to climb up on a box and absolutely beat a subject into the ground and still keep hammering on it. :rolleyes:

Now... I have started and operated over a dozen email list groups over about 20 years and can tell you that making even 20% of the members happy all of the time is about as good as it gets. EVERYBODY has there own pet peeves some quite valid and some almost as silly as thinking people should only type with their index fingers.
Email list have about become dinosaurs these days and many have fallen silent. Most folks prefer a forum format like this one and I do too. I have a couple of email groups I hang on to because I like those particular folks and some of them prefer the email format.

I have my own pet peeve, it's politics. Especially the hateful negative kind... I don't know how anyone can be so foolish as to think insulting the other side will magically change their minds and convert them. You just push them farther their own direction. Such post will get you on my ignore list really quick, I don't care which side you are on. :rolleyes: My own group of email list improved 100 times over back when I totally banned political posting fairly early on. When a few couldn't control themselves it only took one click to solve the problem. Instead of a lot of bickering and infighting we all became friends discussing the things we had in common. I did for a time have a group just for politics but it became a place of near total hate with the members basically the same as constantly screaming at each other (through the keyboard). It quickly became something I wanted nothing to do with and when no one else would take it over I deleted it. Ugly ugly place...

I did ask and did receive one change from the administrator here some time back. I asked for the ability to use more emoticons than were allowed before. I think that they can do a lot to avoid misunderstandings of the written words.

There are those on every list / forum that want every post to stay exactly on subject all of the time. I tend to just look past them because frankly I tend to find them to be very boring people. I have always worked at being as broad of a person as I am able to be with hundreds of widely varying interest. I refuse to crawl down a mole tunnel just because some are only interested in moles. :p :D I do usually try to stay on track but sometimes I am not very good at it. There is always some squirrel coming along to distract me. :)

On a side note (see, here I go again) my life has put me in contact many many times with folks at their homes. I love seeing a nice home with everything in place and well manicured. Funny thing though, the guy down the road with a couple of old tractors and an extra old pickup truck out back with the chickens and goats, maybe a horse or two and some odd stuff he is trying to hide behind the shed is usually a lot more interesting to sit down and talk to. :cool: :)

I think things will generally work out better if we let Shopsmith Inc. run Shopsmith Inc. and let the administrator run the forum...

Ok, I'll quit now... :)

Francis, why is it that you are so much better at saying what I'm thinking?

Again, thank you. For nothing more, than just being here.

Oh, SQUIRREL!!

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

JPG wrote:Gee I thought you had 'left'. Not that I wish to see you gone.

Now there are four of 'us' that have gone off topic. Keakap(minimally) Farmer, Myself and thee.

The previous few posts serve as an excellent example of how these meanderings occur.

Physician, heal thyself. The twelfth man. The pot and the kettle. Brain fodder!

Glad to see thy departure was temporary.:cool:
Is it possible (as I may be beginning to believe) that the only acceptable answer to this thread's poser is simply "yes" or "no"? All else appears to be off topic, sts. This could be a problem.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

keakap wrote:Is it possible (as I may be beginning to believe) that the only acceptable answer to this thread's poser is simply "yes" or "no"? All else appears to be off topic, sts. This could be a problem.
sts?????????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

idcook
Gold Member

Inappropriate Comments

Post by idcook »

Appalled by the decision by some members to leave the forum I've noted, what seems to me, an effort by those members to broach the subject in as forgiving a light as possible.

I'll step out on a limb here by stating that "hijacked" discussions are NOT what lead to this unrest but, rather, a seeming continuous stream of grossly inappropriate comments made by a single member. Comments so coarse that one of the most informative and temperate members was compelled to openly complain about that members behavior. Though, strictly speaking, he wasn't the first to do so.

While highjacked discussions have shown themselves a severe annoyance to some member the true issue, being skirted somewhat, is that rbursek had (maybe still does) made a great many crude and often nearly senseless comments that have not merely taken a discussion off course but often expressed the most reprehensible perspectives imaginable. It was mere icing on the cake that those comments had nothing to do with woodworking. They were deplorable comments about women, marriage, sex, race, etc.

Rather than a reshuffling of the forum itself I suspect what's needed is for Admin to accept and investigate complaints and, if they deem it necessary, banish members who conduct themselves unreasonably.