Cutting Aluminum Sheet with Carbide Blade?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting Aluminum Sheet with Carbide Blade?

Post by JPG »

Short lipped 90° bends are the most difficult to clamp. The holddown is critical. A piece of angle iron(a guess re HF) will not get it. Cast iron is preferable! The voice of he who has attempted to make a small brake with questionable success.

Hence the earlier 2x4 post. Rubber mallet is inadequate. Greater force over greater area works better.

We all 'learn' from our attempts. :)

BTW I hope that was 'soft' aluminum.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

The HF brake came with a big, heavy hunk of cast iron, not angle iron. Still inadequate.

Soft aluminum? I don't know. 5052 was the alloy number. 0.063" thick, but actually measured a little over (possible edge effect from cutting at factory?).
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You get the $65 one? It appears the work piece is inserted from the back bottom, clamped to something(that cast iron?) then the bend is created by pulling the handles forward? It appears it is not adjustable to control bend radius.

IIUC how this thing is supposed to 'work', I am surprised you were as successful as you were.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Picture incomplete and misleading. Handles lowered to create a flat surface. Work piece is laid across both surfaces with the bend lined up over gap between fixed and hinged surfaces. Large hunk of metal not shown which has beveled edge is laid on top and lined up and clamped (clamps not included -- but I have a ton of C-clamps from building the Slow Boat). Handles then lifted to create up to a 90 bend. In theory.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:Picture incomplete and misleading. Handles lowered to create a flat surface. Work piece is laid across both surfaces with the bend lined up over gap between fixed and hinged surfaces. Large hunk of metal not shown which has beveled edge is laid on top and lined up and clamped (clamps not included -- but I have a ton of C-clamps from building the Slow Boat). Handles then lifted to create up to a 90 bend. In theory.
That makes more sense and is more 'typical'.

I am guessing c clamps were simply ineffective especially near the center.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Incidentally, the reflector oven worked. Had blueberry muffins two days and biscuits another. Here blueberry muffins are cooking in front of the fire.
fullsizeoutput_b61.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b61.jpeg (710 KiB) Viewed 13911 times

DanaWhite
Bronze Member

Post by DanaWhite »

Future notes.
So much chatter about should I or shouldn't I cut aluminum with a carbide tipped blade. Here I show you how to it safely using a 12 inch mitre box.
Not recommended for aluminum over 1/4 inch thick and not deeper than your table of the mite box. You really don't want to make two passes.
Fasten work to wood that is a larger than width of the metal.
Move into the metal slowly with a single pass.
Cleaning machine
Last edited by DanaWhite on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Cutting aluminum may be done without problems arising BUT when done cutting make certain that you clean up. Those tiny bits of aluminum debris tend to get where you don't want them; places like within the locking mechanisms or on the tubes where the carriage and headstock slide.

Based on experience, I strongly suggest cleanup BEFORE you move the carriage or headstock even a lttle bit.

Yes, the carbide will win over the aluminum but I still use other than my better carbide blades to cut aluminum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:I still use other than my better carbide blades to cut aluminum.
I used an older Shopsmith combo blade that had lost a tooth and it worked great.

I wore a full a face shield, used upper and lower guards with a hose from the lower guard to an empty trash barrel. Still made a mess.

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Interesting aside:

My brother and I howl with laughter when we remember my Dad talking about "roasting biscuits" instead of "baking biscuits." The comment took place in the house, but his mind may have been elsewhere on the Old Trail...

Then I had read a book about Axes, and just a few weeks ago read this... "Alder sticks have been called biscuit wood for instance, because their quick blaze 'lasts only for a batch of biscuits'..." .

Nice project!

Chris