Jointer blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer blades

Post by chapmanruss »

Let's see if we can clear this up. As I read it Gary questioned two things from the link that rcplaneguy posted. The first is make sure the blades are tapered. Brenda contacted the manufacturer My Wood Cutters about that. Gary's second item he questioned was how can the blades be rotated 90 degrees for a new sharp edge apparently still thinking regular blades but that was actually referring to the Spiral Cutter Head. That is what Dennis commented on but Brenda's response was not clear that she was only referring to the regular blades. Clear as mud now. :D

Of interest the standard blades from My Wood Cutters say they are 4-1/4" long but SS Jointer blades are 4" long. I do not know if the extra 1/4" would be a problem.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well Brenda, did you get an answer?

Skizzity, the SS blades cross section is NOT rectangular. Only two corners are 90°.* The long sides (of the cross section) are not parallel. The bottom edge of the blades are thicker than the cutting edge.

* actually only one corner is 90°. The cutting edge bevel eliminates the second one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

JPG wrote:Well Brenda, did you get an answer?

Skizzity, the SS blades cross section is NOT rectangular. Only two corners are 90°.* The long sides (of the cross section) are not parallel. The bottom edge of the blades are thicker than the cutting edge.

* actually only one corner is 90°. The cutting edge bevel eliminates the second one.
I do not expect an answer until next week as I do not believe many are working on the weekend.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router