Shopsmith Thin Kerf Sawblades

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gampa
Gold Member

Shopsmith Thin Kerf Sawblades

Post by Gampa »

Wow! What a difference they make. I bought my MK5 in 1994 and as an extra got five SS saw blades. I used these until 2006 and they preformed good until worn out. I then invested in a Freud General purpose blade for all of my cutting. It did well until about a month ago when one of the teeth fell off. Thank goodness the safety guard was in place. Lucky for me SS was having a sale on their thin kerf blades. Used the Rip blade and Crosscut blade for the first time today. Easiest ripping I have ever done and the crosscut was very quiet and fast. Has my AAA rating.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Very good to mention the saw guards and the other safety piece I never thought of this happening and the guard catching it thank you for the important safety update.:)
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Thanks for the post, I will remember it when SS has a sale on the thin kerf blades again.
Never considered a blade throwing a tooth.:eek:
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

At a saw speed of 4000 rpm, that tooth will fly off the saw at a speed of 175 feet per second, making it a nasty little sharp pellet that could easily put one's eye out.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

8iowa wrote:At a saw speed of 4000 rpm, that tooth will fly off the saw at a speed of 175 feet per second, making it a nasty little sharp pellet that could easily put one's eye out.

So about 120 mph.:eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

My happy experiences with Shopsmith thin kerf blades, is the same as Walt's (gampa's).:D Never had a Freud!:confused: But did have a tooth come off of a Shopsmith biscuit cutting blade.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA