lower shelf on ss?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wood&glass
Bronze Member

lower shelf on ss?

Post by wood&glass »

Does anyone have plans, for making a lower shelf onto the legs of the ss? I want to add a shelf for extra storage, but the legs are angled weird, thought i would save some time if anyone else had already done it???
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wood&glass wrote:Does anyone have plans, for making a lower shelf onto the legs of the ss? I want to add a shelf for extra storage, but the legs are angled weird, thought i would save some time if anyone else had already done it???

Guess What! The world has many things that are not 'aligned at right angles'.

We do not know where on the weirdly shaped legs you wish to mount a shelf.

Measure the weirdness at the shelf's future location and cut accordingly!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Just be aware that adding stress/weight (otherwise unsupported) to the legs may alter the operating geometry of some or all of the assembly. (One "for instance": the top of the Extension table may become non-planar with that of the Main. The variables are too, uh, varied to mention.)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Wood this do ya?

[ATTACH]12697[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Under SS storage.pdf
(635.03 KiB) Downloaded 889 times
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
berry
Platinum Member

Under Unit Storage

Post by berry »

Here's what I use. Two shelves, not much to it. I have no plans, I just went along. Both shelves have two stretchers that go all the way to the legs. The upper attaches to the legs with threaded inserts. (Also the upper the stretchers are flush with the legs and I cut the groove that holds the shelf on a bevel.) The bottom shelf stretchers are notched and hang on the axles.

I change it every once in a while - poke a hole through for something or take something off that doesn't work. I find nothing more satisfying as making my SS more MY Shopsmith.

If you have specific questions feel free to send a private email. I'll help if I can.

[ATTACH]12699[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12700[/ATTACH]
Attachments
accessory shelf 5.jpg
accessory shelf 5.jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
accessory shelf 9.jpg
accessory shelf 9.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
KDC
Gold Member

Post by KDC »

I hang stuff on the wall. :D
KDC
SS 1976 Mark V with SS bandsaw
wood&glass
Bronze Member

Post by wood&glass »

Thanks so much to all of you for your input!!
2bits
Gold Member

Post by 2bits »

beeg wrote:Wood this do ya?

[ATTACH]12697[/ATTACH]
Thanks for the reply to this thread. As a newbie to Shopsmith this will be a great project. Then all I will have to do is find the stuff I am missing to fill up the empty spaces:D