Double tilt

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ddvann79 wrote:Milling machine? How about a hack saw and a tap and die set?

I was 'thinking' it would be nice if it looked 'pretty'!:D That would require a slight curve to match the path of motion when raised/lowered!:rolleyes: I also think I would beef up the web where the lock down screw is located. If I do actually cut a pair, a hacksaw is probably the tool available(maybe a sabre saw?).;)

P.S. Why would I need a 'die'? ;>}}
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Foul!!!! No fair!!!! That was the week I spent in ICU sitting with SHMBO!
I don't understand. SHMBO = ?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

SHMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I don't understand. SHMBO = ?
i.e. Our better halves!;) or LOML!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]i.e. Our better halves!]
Oh, you mean SWMBO.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

SDSSmith wrote:I thought the following shows what Shopsmith did:[ATTACH]12353[/ATTACH]I have been tempted to modify a couple of arms but just have not gotten around to it.
Heh, thats my photo :)

Yes, that is what shopsmith did. The base arm casting should be easy to modify to match their style...I even proposed this in another thread. However, if you are going with JPG's suggestion then you could get away with a longer hinge pin I think. The reason why shopsmith's design works well is because gravity doesn't come into play when you disengage the hinge pin (because of the set screw), whereas JPG's suggestion would need some sort of wedge or other device to support the weight while thie pin was pulled.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Oh, you mean SWMBO:rolleyes:
See! I am human after all! Cannot blame it on the keyboard, too far apart!:p
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

[quote="JPG40504"]

Now who do I know that has a milling machine?]

I do... only two problems...
1. There are some electrical issues to sort out, a temporary problem (Dad is convinced I'm nuts for buying this thing).

2. It is way too small for this task. You need someone with a knee mill for this one. One of these days I will likely end up with a Bridgeport or a small Rockwell but I need a larger shop first.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

horologist wrote:I do... only two problems...
1. There are some electrical issues to sort out, a temporary problem (Dad is convinced I'm nuts for buying this thing).

2. It is way too small for this task. You need someone with a knee mill for this one. One of these days I will likely end up with a Bridgeport or a small Rockwell but I need a larger shop first.

Troy

Ever considered moving out of the 'laundry' room?:D

I think a hacksaw will be the tool of choice!;) Lo budget approach!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Double tilt phase 2

Post by JPG »

Made a few 'alterations' to an end casting.
[ATTACH]12494[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12495[/ATTACH]
Knob is a damaged 10E with new screw inserted.

[ATTACH]12496[/ATTACH]
Hinge pin drilled/tapped 1/4-20, ftat washer and screw(5/32) hex.

[ATTACH]12497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12498[/ATTACH]
The casting wall is thin, I will add a tapped plate to beef it up.

Less said about the 'extra' hole the better!:rolleyes: It will secure the beef plate!:D
Attachments
tw tilt a.jpg
tw tilt a.jpg (87.08 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
tw tilt b.jpg
tw tilt b.jpg (115.7 KiB) Viewed 5313 times
tw tilt c.jpg
tw tilt c.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
tw tilt d.jpg
tw tilt d.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
tw tilt e.jpg
tw tilt e.jpg (75.6 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝