Cutting Board material

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cobalt60
Gold Member

Post by cobalt60 »

JPG40504 wrote:Red oak = open = bad]< I am referring to the end grain total openess of red oak.

Truth be known, wood is not a good candidate for cutting boards from a health and allergy standpoint, but have been used with minimal concern for quite some time.
[/color]
Anybody wanna address the grain orientation(all same way/alternating/random)?;)

I thought the wood vs. plastic was disputed, but actually favor fell on the side of wood these days.

UC Davis research:
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/facul ... gboard.htm

or this article seemed OK:
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htm
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

I have made about a dozen end grain cutting boards using various combinations of red oak, white oak, cherry, hard maple, and black walnut. I've never had any issues with red oak by the way when going end grain. Each was finished with 3-4 coats of salad bowl finish.
Tom Woods
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Cobalt60, thanks for those links. I found them interesting and think I'll stick with WOOD cutting boards.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Cobalt60, thanks for those links. I found them interesting and think I'll stick with WOOD cutting boards.

Yeah! Interesting how yesterday's 'sound scientific advice' becomes today's 'old wives tale'!;)

That happens when 'research' is actually an attempt to 'prove' individual opinion and statistics are 'used'! Hopefully the truth WILL OUT!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be using Black Walnut and Maple. My dad is going to teach me how to rip cut and cross cut to make it 1 inch thick. The pattern will be dark, light, dark, light and so on. This will be fun. We will post pictures of our proggress. And we will be using the 4-H guidlines for presenation.:p

P.S. I really liked reading your responses thanks!
Paul B
derekdarling
Gold Member

Cutting Boards

Post by derekdarling »

Spalted wood. If you look into it, you will find that spalted wood got that way for a reason. Those lines got there through a fungal process; it is one step toward total decay.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to put food anywhere near spalted wood. I'm just sayin'

Derek
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

moggymatt wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be using Black Walnut and Maple. My dad is going to teach me how to rip cut and cross cut to make it 1 inch thick. The pattern will be dark, light, dark, light and so on. This will be fun. We will post pictures of our proggress. And we will be using the 4-H guidlines for presenation.:p

P.S. I really liked reading your responses thanks!
Enjoy your project with your Dad. We will all be waiting to see photos of your finished project.
Best wishes from one woodworker to another.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA