Shopsmith On Cool Tools

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moose
Gold Member

Post by moose »

Ed: I agree with you 100%. Ocassionally, I watch the HGTV and it's the same there with obviously paid actors doing their thing and the final prduct shown, done by a pro off camera. It's nothing but entertainment now.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I tried to watch the show, but gave up and decided to record it after seeing the host try to joint a board using the Grizzly over-under jointer-planer. The guy simply ruins what could be an interesting show. I came back later and fast forwarded to the Shopsmith portion, which was too brief to get a sense of the new machine.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

Cool Tools is just bad infomercial. He seems to thinks he is presenting the tools to a kindergarten class. I too was sorry they did not spend more time on the SS.
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
ss50th
Gold Member

Post by ss50th »

Ditto on the Cool Tools comments.
Additionally, though, my aging mind can't remember the name of a host (he was closely associated with Craftsman tools) or the show that was about building remodel or construction. It wasn't Norm.. Anyway the host was so inept the actual craftsmen, especially the finishing workers, wouldn't let him get near some of the individual projects. It was actually comical.
Mixed feelings is watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your new Rolls Royce. :) :(

Richard
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

For the type of show it is, Shopsmith was given a huge amount of time.

I would like to see Shopsmith do a a full demo video on Youtube or the like. Would be surprised if it's not already in the works.

I think the best part was them showing the Shopsmith being manufactured by Americans in Dayton Ohio. Most people just assume all tools are made overseas now.

It was great exposure for Shopsmith and happy for them.
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

ss50th wrote:Ditto on the Cool Tools comments.
Additionally, though, my aging mind can't remember the name of a host (he was closely associated with Craftsman tools) or the show that was about building remodel or construction. It wasn't Norm.. Anyway the host was so inept the actual craftsmen, especially the finishing workers, wouldn't let him get near some of the individual projects. It was actually comical.
Are you thinking of Bob Vila and This Old House? That's all that comes to my mind by your description.
ss50th
Gold Member

Post by ss50th »

dasgud wrote:Are you thinking of Bob Vila and This Old House? That's all that comes to my mind by your description.
That's it. Thanks. I still can't believe I couldn't remember the name.
Mixed feelings is watching your mother in law driving off a cliff in your new Rolls Royce. :) :(

Richard
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

Bob: "So Ted, how are you fastening the shingles to the roof?"
Ted: "I'm using a hammer, Bob. A hammer and some nails."

That short dialogue has stayed in my memory for 30 years I'll bet...
scooters
Gold Member

Post by scooters »

cincinnati wrote:For the type of show it is, Shopsmith was given a huge amount of time.

I would like to see Shopsmith do a a full demo video on Youtube or the like. Would be surprised if it's not already in the works.

I think the best part was them showing the Shopsmith being manufactured by Americans in Dayton Ohio. Most people just assume all tools are made overseas now.

It was great exposure for Shopsmith and happy for them.
I agree with Cincinnati... It would be great to see a longer segment, but they packed a lot of tools into a half hour. It seemed like Shopsmith got about 3 times the time as the others.

As for the show, I definately watch it for the tools, not the host.
Scooters

.. ..-. -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . .-. . .- -.. .. -. --. - .... .. ...
-.-- --- ..- .... .- ...- . - --- --- -- ..- -.-. .... - .. -- .
--- -. -.-- --- ..- .-. .... .- -. -.. ... :rolleyes:
riot_nrrd
Gold Member

Ha ha ha

Post by riot_nrrd »

Mssed the epsiode but thought I'd check out the website. How do you like the Powermatic Vertical Lathe?

[ATTACH]11319[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Lathe-Yeah Right.jpg
Lathe-Yeah Right.jpg (117.4 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
RiotNrrd

Shopsmith 510 with PowerPro upgrade, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander
Incra 1000 HD, Miter Express, TS-III, Wonderfence Other miscellaneous Dewalt, Ryobi, and Craftsman