Shopsmith Mark 2 - the good, the bad and the ugly

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobgroh
Gold Member

Shopsmith Mark 2 - the good, the bad and the ugly

Post by bobgroh »

I came close to buying a SS Mark 2 here in town - primarily because it had a bandsaw and a jointer attachment and because there might be a few small parts for my herd of Mark V's. However I talked myself out of it when I reviewed what the Mark 2 really was - e.g. not well built, compatible regarding it's ability to use standard SS accessories like the bandsaw, not compatible in many other respects, etc.

Yeah, I could make a few bucks ($100 or so) by restoring the bandsaw and jointer (neither of which I need) but the hassle just didn't seem worth it.

So, and here is the point (finally!!) of my posting, just how bad is the Mark 2? Good points, bad points, talking points, etc. Thanks.
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bobgroh wrote:I came close to buying a SS Mark 2 here in town - primarily because it had a bandsaw and a jointer attachment and because there might be a few small parts for my herd of Mark V's. However I talked myself out of it when I reviewed what the Mark 2 really was - e.g. not well built, compatible regarding it's ability to use standard SS accessories like the bandsaw, not compatible in many other respects, etc.

Yeah, I could make a few bucks ($100 or so) by restoring the bandsaw and jointer (neither of which I need) but the hassle just didn't seem worth it.

So, and here is the point (finally!!) of my posting, just how bad is the Mark 2? Good points, bad points, talking points, etc. Thanks.
I have no first hand knowledge but this comes from the Shopsmith web site and tells me everything I would need to know.

Ooops-----Here is what I was trying to link to.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I would still love to have one (and a Mark VII) for my "collection."
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Hey guys!
I have had both the II and VII. I paid $35 for the II, and it was the biggest piece of #%@- that I have ever owned. It was about 1/3 the weight of an ER and very flimsy. After making 2 cuts on the table saw, I could not sell it fast enough. The only good thing about it was that I was able to sell it for $265 (probably because it was green)
The VII that I bought (completly dis-assembled and in about 10 boxes) was a great machine. The tables were bigger than my V and it seemed faily sturdy. I heard that due to the placement of the pivot point, the drill press is lower than you would like it.
Mark
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

If I could make 750% profit off each Mark II, I'd like a couple of warehouses full of them.... Hope the profit on your II bought you a couple of toys for your V or VII, Mark!

Gary
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Hey Gary!
The profit from the II & VII bought me two MarkV's:D
Mark
jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

Bob, you forgot to mention that the Mark 2 comes with a free weedeater! LOL! That just might be the best part of that deal.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

And darned if the seller didn't go and lower the price to only $150! Just have to resist!
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

WOW what a coincidence, I just found one at my neighbors house and was not sure ( name plate missing) what it was,googled it and bam here I am!! I was sure this was not a SS, just by looking at the legs. Neighbor is going to scrap his, " SS parts are just to #$%$#@ expensive". I now know that they won't work anyway. I think I will offer him scrap $$ and see if I can salvage the jacobs chuck on it. The motor is a transplant and might be useful for another application. The chuck is the only " accessory " on it. One of the wooden "tubes" is split, and adjusting this thing even as a drill press looks like more work than a change over!
I guess I could break even at $15or so! The rest I would donate to anyone that wants it. Assuming I get it!
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Here is a link to a bit more information about the Mk II

http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/2007/05/shopsmith-mark-ii.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,