Headrest Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Headrest Question

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

how come this headrest has a bar?

And other ones do not?
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

The first one is for mounting the jointer. The bar allows the jointer to swing out of the way when not in use.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

heathicus wrote:The first one is for mounting the jointer. The bar allows the jointer to swing out of the way when not in use.
Thanks! so the bar should be mounted to the outside?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

hohenfelsjoe wrote:Thanks! so the bar should be mounted to the outside?

Only if you actually have a model 4E jointer. It would get in the way otherwise. You have a very scarce part there, take good care of her!!!

I take that back. It depends whether you have a need to mount a tailstock casting/expansion table on that end. If so it does need to be reversed(I think?).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

JPG40504 wrote:Only if you actually have a model 4E jointer. It would get in the way otherwise. You have a very scarce part there, take good care of her!!!
Now that I know, I will! Thanks to all!
hohenfelsjoe
Gold Member

Post by hohenfelsjoe »

It there a Thread of Rare Parts/Items? If not what do you guys think of starting one? So folks like me can look and have a better appreciation for item we don't know we have. :)
derekdarling
Gold Member

parts

Post by derekdarling »

Great idea, hohenfelsjoe. I also thought of contacting CraigsList to ask if they could consider a thread for 'Broken but salvegeable tools' (or whatever). Keep the actual broken stuff where you could see that it was only for repair or for parts. If anyone likes that, maybe send them a line. I'm sure that half-a-dozen illegible scrawls from old fart woodworkers will make them change!

Derek

PS, I think I might be getting an old Black Walnut trunk, 6+' high, 5-6' in circumference. Trouble is... it's still in the ground! The owner was appreciative of my rejecting the use of dynamite (go figure!), but I am thinking of a power washer to wash the soil away, and a chainsaw for the roots, and try to save as mush of the root ball as I can. I have a neighbour with a wood-miser to mill it into planks, if I can get it here (South Surry) form Chilliwack (upper end of the Fraser Valley, about 2 hours away.
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
donald1
Gold Member

Post by donald1 »

hello everybody in this thread,i have no experience about it but it was great discussion here for a machine.