Building a back porch - advice needed

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

JPG40504 wrote:So YA want the State goons to pounce on ya?:D
Come and get some! ;)

In my research, I found an article where legislators from central and north Louisiana had proposed a bill to relax the building codes and need for inspections because there weren't enough goons to do the inspecting!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I don't typically hustle any of my groups but I have one that may fit your needs for such construction based on keeping cost down. It is called "Cheap Shelters" (on yahoo groups) and is largely based on low cost construction often using "found" or non standard materials and sometimes unconventional construction and sometimes under the radar. It has a little over 1300 members and some are quite good at this stuff and quick to help.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/cheap-shelters/
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

To clarify I would use 4x4 5 ft on center around the outside of the porch. I think that would be 6 if the porch is being attached to the house.
I would then use 2x10 or possibly 2x8 doubled up around the outside perimeter. I would attach a 2x10 to the house as a sill plate. Then from the sill plate I would run 2x10, 10 ft long 16" on center from the house end to the doubled up 2x10 opposite the house.

To build it I would build a frame of 2x10 10 ft long 16" on center nailed to 2x10 end plates. I would then lift the frame up, anchor it to the house and to 4x4's and run another 2x10 around the outside to tie it all together. Floor it and be done.

I think that would be cheapest, safest way to build it and be assured it will hold as many people as a 10 x 20 porch could plus a freezer and refrig.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:To clarify I would use 4x4 5 ft on center around the outside of the porch. I think that would be 6 if the porch is being attached to the house.((<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<7 BY MY RECKONING)

. . .
JUST BEING NIT PICKEY!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG40504 wrote:JUST BEING NIT PICKEY!:D

It's a MOBILE HOME, knot a house.

JUST BEING NIT PICKY!:D:D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Hey Heath!
You could go to "Google Books" and type "decks" in the search box. There is a great assortment of books with designs and plans for the basic structure.
Mark
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

beeg wrote:It's a MOBILE HOME, knot a house.

Just to continue picking nits, I think the current preferred term is "Manufactured Home." :rolleyes:

Thanks again, everyone, for those suggestions. Farmer, I'll take a look at that group.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:Just to continue picking nits, I think the current preferred term is "Manufactured Home." :rolleyes:

Thanks again, everyone, for those suggestions. Farmer, I'll take a look at that group.
What pray tell is a home that is NOT manufactured? Dream house?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

beeg wrote:It's a MOBILE HOME, knot a house.

Beg to differ here. Not just beaus I live in one, but because of the manufacturing standards of current manufactured homes. AKA mobile homes, because they ate hauled to places on wheels. AKA Trailer Houses.

Manufactured homes have X walls, low E windows, 3/4" sheet rock, shingled roofs, and some are even two stories tall. They are sturdy enough to withstand road travel maybe a couple hundred miles at highway speed. Our home has been sited (set) to withstand earthquakes, and has been approved as such by Los Angeles County.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Beg to differ here. Not just beaus I live in one, but because of the manufacturing standards of current manufactured homes. AKA mobile homes, because they ate hauled to places on wheels. AKA Trailer Houses.

Manufactured homes have X walls, low E windows, 3/4" sheet rock, shingled roofs, and some are even two stories tall. They are sturdy enough to withstand road travel maybe a couple hundred miles at highway speed. Our home has been sited (set) to withstand earthquakes, and has been approved as such by Los Angeles County.
Yep! If it is gonna be shaken, tis best to make it 'flexible'!:D just kidding!

My own definition of a 'manufactured home' is that it is assembled someplace other than the final 'site'. I put them in a different category than a 'house trailer'/ mobile home.

Truth be told, a 'factory' jig for assembling wall sections results in a better constructed structure that contains them. Call em pre-fab if you want, but the principle is the same. When you 'build' off site, the parts better be dimensionally correct or it doesn't go together.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝