Index wheel set-up as promised

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Index wheel set-up as promised

Post by reible »

Hi,

Sometime back in the spring I had been looking at getting an indexing system for my shopsmith. During the discussions I mentioned I had a unique method in mind to use for the stationary part of the indexer. I've never seen this approach but wanted to actually make one before attempting to explain my thoughts.

So as promised here it is in mostly pictures.

First a view of the chuck with indexing wheel behind it and a location pin in place. Keep in mind that not all chucks/indexing wheels/pin are the same so this may or may not work for you.
[ATTACH]9460[/ATTACH]

A out of focus shot from the back side showing the adapter which attaches to the quill and sets right up behind the index disk.
[ATTACH]9461[/ATTACH]

This pin comes with the index wheel but I wanted to add a knob before I dropped it somewhere and lost it.
[ATTACH]9462[/ATTACH]

So we can see things better I removed the index wheel and chuck.
[ATTACH]9463[/ATTACH]

It should be clear but in case it is not the adapter rotates to any place around the quill so you should be able to find somewhere out of the way to tighten it down and use it.
[ATTACH]9464[/ATTACH]

Next post will have more pictures....

Ed
Attachments
DSCF8768sc.jpg
DSCF8768sc.jpg (77.84 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
DSCF8769sc.jpg
DSCF8769sc.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 9886 times
DSCF8770sc.jpg
DSCF8770sc.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 9865 times
DSCF8771sc.jpg
DSCF8771sc.jpg (73.27 KiB) Viewed 9875 times
DSCF8772sc.jpg
DSCF8772sc.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 9861 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here are a few pictures showing some of the details just in case you are interested.

[ATTACH]9465[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9466[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9467[/ATTACH]

Maybe I should mention that this idea was the result of wanted to be able to extend the quill and still have the indexing working. This should clear that function up:
[ATTACH]9468[/ATTACH]

No magic here but if you have questions I will try to answer them.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF8777sc.jpg
DSCF8777sc.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 9866 times
DSCF8778sc.jpg
DSCF8778sc.jpg (75.33 KiB) Viewed 9870 times
DSCF8779sc.jpg
DSCF8779sc.jpg (82.67 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
DSCF8782sc.jpg
DSCF8782sc.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 9858 times
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Ed,
Nice work, similar to what I posted a few months back. How did you attach the index wheel to the chuck and what material is the index wheel made of?
ldh
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

very nicely laid out, if one wanted to make one.

One question and it's a big one--what do you do with an index wheel?

TIA
derekdarling
Gold Member

What do you do with an index wheel?

Post by derekdarling »

Let's say you wanted to carve flutes in a spindle, and you wanted eight flutes. The index wheel lets you start at a particular spot, carve or mark the the first one, then, depending on the layout of the index wheel, rotate the work an exact number of degrees to make the next point, and so on.

If you wanted to drill holes for spokes in a wheel, this allows for that as well.
In metal work, an indexing wheel lets you rotate a blank and cut gear teeth so that you have a certian number of gear teeth in the circumference.

This design is brilliant and simple, like most brilliant things. The more advanced indexing system have a way of indexing a greater number of divisions in the circumference.

I hope that explains it.

Derek in Vancouver
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

thanks, a little clearer now
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

Ed,

definitely very nice work.

the second pic looks like there is a label on the disc.

how about more info on the disk, the chuck adapter, and the indexing disc attachment?
hmm, better add brand and model of chuck to that list of questions, too, I guess.

with all the sales going on this weekend, it might be a great time to pic up the disk and an additional chuck adapter. I am hoping that I don't have to change chuck brands for this to work.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Being very simple person show me make more since that tell. Is ther anywhere I can view a video of someone using an indexing process so I can see what I am missing. I really like the simple and good looking design for your and can see how to make one not too sure when I would use it. any video would help. Maybe one of you have one set up on your SS and it would make a lot more since to me then.
Thanks
Right now I am trying to tile and lay new floors in my house but then the shop projects are next. Have an old sun machine base on casters I got with a MKVll two weeks ago I going to paint SS grey and turn the top into my SPT stand and then but parts in the cabinet below. Should be a good project.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

As always Ed, great homemade fixture and very well documented.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

It looks like I should be able to answer most of the questions by detailing the hardware involved:

The chuck is a Teknatool NOVA G3 (shopsmith use to sell these). The jaws are a mini spigot set (that is what I used to turn the knob on the pin).

This type of chuck uses an adapter to go from the shopsmith shaft size to the chuck size, this portion is threaded and this is the interface where the indexing wheel is captured.

The indexing wheel is a plastic material (I'm not sure how well it will hold up long term). It is a commercial item I purchased from:
http://www.ironfirellc.com/shop/category.asp?catid=2

As far as videos I don't have any information on them but my guess is that they are out there and a search might well find several.

You can also check the PTWFE I know that shopsmith has at least a couple of versions of indexing hardware in the various editions so that might be a source of other ideas.

You might also what to check your chuck, I have seen some with a hole pattern on the back side which I'm thinking is a built in index plate???

Ed