Miter Saw Stands

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

I use my Workmate portable workbench for my miter saw. It folds up and stores away nicely.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR
dejure
Bronze Member

A vote for Ridgid

Post by dejure »

I have both the old and the new Ridgid stands. Interestingly, I prefer the older one and keep it in the shop. The newer one is my road stand.

Both units are heavy. Add a miter, such as my Bosch slider, and you know you're moving some iron around when loading it to go to a job site.

I prefer a cabinet (with fences and storage), but that went to someone else in a shop move.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

ryanbp01 wrote:T.K.-

I should have added it should be foldable. I'm running out of room in the workshop and I don't have the space for a cabinet system. :( Thanks for the idea.

BPR

Have you seen this system? http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0001

I have a planer and a scroll saw on mine. Don't have a power miter saw. The plan calls for folding out wings to support boards being cut with a miter saw. Plenty of storage beneath and a huge drawer.
Attachments
roll_cab't__at_home.jpg
roll_cab't__at_home.jpg (128.7 KiB) Viewed 122899 times
roll cab't front open.jpg
roll cab't front open.jpg (129.14 KiB) Viewed 122897 times
roll cab't side - open drawer.jpg
roll cab't side - open drawer.jpg (124.63 KiB) Viewed 122886 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
riot_nrrd
Gold Member

Mitersaw Plans

Post by riot_nrrd »

I built this:

http://plansnow.com/mitersaw.html

And it works pretty well. You could probalby adapt it for your needs.

RiotNrrd
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I want to thank everyone for their input. After considering all of the choices, I went with Rigid model sold at Home Depot. I felt that, for me, it was the best one for the price.

Thanks again,
BPR
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Believe it or not, I mount my sliding compound miter saw on my Shopsmith. I have attached a board to the bottom of my miter saw and simply clamp it on the saw table. I then can use the extension tables as outrigger supports for longer boards.

When I want to use my miter saw outside or on the job site, I clamp it to one of my Workmates and use roller stands for outrigger support.
nutrance
Bronze Member

Re: Miter Saw Stands

Post by nutrance »

I realize this is an old topic, but I wanted to chime in anyway, because I bought a DeWalt DWX726 rolling miter saw stand recently, and am very happy with it so far. It's sturdy, yet portable enough. I was initially confused between the DeWalt and another stand from WEN (the MSA330), but seeing the DeWalt being recommended here, I decided to take the plunge, and now I'm glad that I did.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

through the years I have had many different miter saw stands and so far none of them work as good as the SS .just clamp the saw to the main table ,,slide the main table one way or the other , the extension tables and fence can be set up for about any length for stops .if nothing else it saves me room and brings the work up where I can see it .jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I can toss a wrench in your thoughts , I purchased a 12 in compound miter saw from Harbor Freight years ago and it has not let me down, it is also belt driven , I know people who spend a lot more and like what they have jut as well , sometimes ratings are over rated , that being said If I was doing a lot of construction I might spring for a red one {Milwaukee} or a yellow one {dewalt} , regardless of brand a double tilt makes a huge difference ,,too bad SS doesnt make one it would look good next to the MKV .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)