Lift assist

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Lift assist

Post by cincinnati »

Just wondering for owners who have had the lift assist for some time now. Do you like it, Is it durable and seem to hold up over time?
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

I really like mine. Only complaint I could make is it limits the ability to have a cabinet type storage unit under the Mk5, and you'll need a Morse-2 extension if you want to turn small items like pens.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Tom said it all, I agree completely. I have had mine close to 15 years and have not had any issues.

I removed my cabinets that I made when I purchased the unit when I upgraded to the 510 so didn't care that I had less room with the lift assist. I use the Shopsmith front shelf which blocks the cabinet anyway.

There are several threads discussing the Morse taper issue as I don't want to repeat it here. There is a <$5 solution that you can get from Shopsmith when you purchase the lift assist.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Lift Assist

Post by dusty »

Now that I have had the experience of using a lift assist, I would say that it should be part of every one sold. I could not be without it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

tom_k/mo wrote:I really like mine. Only complaint I could make is it limits the ability to have a cabinet type storage unit under the Mk5, and you'll need a Morse-2 extension if you want to turn small items like pens.

I should add that Pens are not a big problem unless you have the UTR. Bottle stoppers are impossible with some form of extension. I have three extensions, two from Shopsmith and one from another US supplier that I purchased with my universal chuck adapter.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulmcohen wrote:I should add that Pens are not a big problem unless you have the UTR. Bottle stoppers are impossible with some form of extension. I have three extensions, two from Shopsmith and one from another US supplier that I purchased with my universal chuck adapter.
It is real nice that you have all of these extensions that have proven to be a solution to this apparently universal problem.

It would be even nicer it you would provide part numbers and pictures and descriptions and such so that those of us who have not yet solved this problem could do so.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:It is real nice that you have all of these extensions that have proven to be a solution to this apparently universal problem.

It would be even nicer it you would provide part numbers and pictures and descriptions and such so that those of us who have not yet solved this problem could do so.
IIRC there is no description(online) of that part. It can be ordered by phone. It is included with the lathe duplicator. Its part number in the manual (11/87) is 514704.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I personally would have a hard time with the SS without my lift-assist. Guess I'm just not a jock. Prior to adding it, years ago, I would have to move the power head all the way to the right to lift to vertical. Then would come the chore of lifting the power head to height. Now I set the power head, then just easily lift. So simple that sometimes, if I want to move the drillpress I will drop the whole assembly, slide the head, then bring it back up. It takes less time then setting up a jack.
Just my long winded opinion.
Gary
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

robinson46176 threw out a concept a few weeks ago for an automated lift assist but I can't locate the thread.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

I've had mine for two years and really like it. It makes the operations of moving the headstock into drill press mode and back very easy. So far, I've had no problems with mechanical integrity; it seems quite durable.
Tom Woods