Restoration Progress On My 1952 ER10

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What color to paint my ER10? (post #216)

Poll ended at Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Other (post you answer)
50%
Other (post you answer)
36%
Other (post you answer)
14%

Total votes: 36

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

That sure is a nice looking pair...
You know, I once considered refurbing SS's and reselling them but sadly if your goal is to make a buck there is far more $$$ in stripping them down and selling them for parts.
One parts seller once told me that he could even buy a new one and make money parting it out... I have no idea if that is really true or not, I never put a serious pencil to it. I do know that if professionally and cautiously pursued the parts business can be very profitable. It can of course be a lot of work, not a free ride. Shipping can become a PITA as can a few customers. :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
etc92guy
Gold Member

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by etc92guy »

Mike - I echo all the congrats. Those are definitely machines to be proud of. And since you know every nut and bolt, they will serve you well.

Some other thoughts:

Are you going to take a break and pay some attention to the better half or are you going to start on Greenie II right away?

Will you post the details on the Chris-Craft project when it gets underway?
Craig
Hartland, WI
-Mark 5 "Greenie" S/N 342238, Manuf. mmm/mmm 1957, Acq. Oct. 2008, Joiner S/N M067266
-10 E/ER(?) S/N Unknown, Joiner 4E S/N 40051
retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

Post by retiredsoldier919 »

Mike, Absolutely beautiful work. Maybe the Smith-soninian would like one for historical record.
David

10ER - SN:21949, Acquired 11 Jan 2010
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Truly inspiring work, Mike. There are several "shortcuts" I've taken before that I'm not taking on my Mark V after reading of your progress and seeing your results.

And I really love that color scheme. Seeing the two machines side by side was great!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

nuhobby wrote:Super Job, Mike!!!
I do like the color scheme and the nostalgia too. In fact I was just trying to find a picture from Disney's "Robots" movie because I'm pretty sure the main character robot was restored from "Rust" to "Verde Green"...

Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks very much. This was the most challenging project I've ever worked on. It gave me a good chance to hone a lot of skills. I really wanted to bring this severely neglected machine back to life. It was so pathetic when I saw this thing for the first time sitting outside uncovered on the side of a barn. Quite honestly, if it hadn't had the speed changer on it, I would have passed on it.

No more ShopSmith restoration work for me until late '10 early '11. My next restorations focus has to be the Chris Craft. I am petrified to start. The biggest fear is going into a area that I have absolutely no experience. Replacing the bottom is not something that you just jump into without a lot of forethought. So, between now and when I start in April, I have a lot of studying to do. Hopefully I can locate a good wooden boat forum and possibly find a local mentor just to keep an eye on me.

Between now and April, I am going to put the SS pair to work on some nice little woodworking projects. First project will be the decided this week.

Thanks again.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Congratulations on a job done well, Mike and good luck on the boat.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Mike

You have a "remote mentor" any time you want.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

Mike,

First I'd like to echo every one else in saying that you have left a legacy right here in your step by step restoration. The tools both look great, probably better than new in both cases. I feel confident that I can use your hard earned experiences to maintain and improve my tools.

I would also like to comment that by using the same paint scheme you have brought their relationship into sharp focus. There can be no doubt in anyones mind that the MK V is a direct descendant of the ER. The photography accentuates the similarities and the differences while still highlighting the family resemblance.

Great job and thank you for the tour through the process.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

shipwright wrote:Mike

You have a "remote mentor" any time you want.

Paul M
Fantastic offer Paul!! Thank you VERY much. I'll take you up on that for sure. My fear level has just been reduced significantly. With the internet, photos, telephone etc, a 'remote mentor' might just be feasible. Gee, this this mean we'll have to do some "Skyping"?

My fear is in not knowing what I don't know. With computers, I know what I know, I know what I don't know. That is why I can work on them somewhat comfortably. With the boat building, there is a new variable thrown in, that being.....I don't know what I don't know. That's when a potential costly disaster can happen. The time and lumber required to replace that bottom ain't gonna be minimal.
Mike
Sunny San Diego