Restoration Progress On My 1952 ER10

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What color to paint my ER10? (post #216)

Poll ended at Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Other (post you answer)
50%
Other (post you answer)
36%
Other (post you answer)
14%

Total votes: 36

------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Worst case you could remove the flat head screw and drill a 1/32" or smaller hole and get in behind it to lube and tap it out.
------------------------
Gold Member

Pin is solid/not hollow
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Perfect photo Mark. I see now what I have to work with. I am wondering if the button is in the bottom out position now or if it could be tapped to go in a little further to break the bond. If it is bottomed out already, and the bond can't be broken, I think the best bet will be to drill in from the backside and try to tunk it out.

Do you think it's bottomed out already?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
------------------------
Gold Member

I dont think it is bottomed out. I think it can go down at least 3/32"
Mark
Mine bottomed out
[ATTACH]7445[/ATTACH]
Attachments
index 003.jpg
index 003.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

If I have to drill and try to tunk it out, I'll probably drill the hole from the spherical tip side and wherever it comes out in the other end will then be the pilot hole for going in with a little larger drill. That way I'm sure not to miss the button and/or drill though the spring.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:If I have to drill and try to tunk it out, I'll probably drill the hole from the spherical tip side and wherever it comes out in the other end will then be the pilot hole for going in with a little larger drill. That way I'm sure not to miss the button and/or drill though the spring.

K1 and Acetone mixture worked quite fast and quite well today busting loose 10E way tubes from the 'hinge' end casting. They had not been removed in over 60 yrs! Raised to vertical poured concoction on/around casting, tube 'crack'. It penetrated through to the opposite end in less than 5 minutes. About 3 raps and it moved. Two more raps and the tube flew out of the casting! Tube had a little rust, but not much.(2-3 inches, not severe).

I have a new 'formula' rust buster!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:K1 and Acetone mixture worked quite fast and quite well today busting loose 10E way tubes from the 'hinge' end casting.
And the ratio is............
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Wanted……ER10 miter gage indicator….

The agony of defeat. Two days submerged in Kroil, tapping, soaking, tapping, soaking. No luck getting the indicator button unstuck. Next process was putting some heat to it. DON’T unless you are 100% familiar with heating this relatively small piece of metal. The heat from the propane torch grossly deformed the piece.
[ATTACH]7464[/ATTACH]
I don’t feel I abused the heat from propane torch. I was evenly heating the piece and I felt the pliers that I was using start to close. I stopped immediately and looked at the piece and I could see where the pliers were digging in. Then I looked dead on at the face with the indicator button and saw where the top actually collapsed. I’m not sure if this piece is aluminum. Possibly white metal??

Anyway….disgusted!!
Attachments
Img_8136mod.jpg
Img_8136mod.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Mike,
Don't despair, dude! I just looked at the whole thread again, and you've done SO much.
I vote that you (eventually) make your own custom brass indicator. But start making sawdust now..... wood projects tend to have their own mistakes which require innovation along the way. It's good perspective on life, if you think about it.
Chris
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Dadgum, Mike, that sucks! :eek:
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration