520-width/edge sanding

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

teufelhund323
Silver Member

520-width/edge sanding

Post by teufelhund323 »

I have a question concerning sanding to width/edge sanding with the 520. In the PTWFE book and in the self study course, the rip fence is offset when width/edge sanding to prevent board lifting. This is accomplished by adjusting a setscrew on the fence of the 500 or 510. I have the 520 and cannot figure out how to offset the fence. No adjustment that I can see, and nothing in my PTWFE or self study books that mention the 520 for this operation. Thanks in advance.
Tim :D
Belchertown, Mass.
520/Band Saw
dusty
Platinum Member

Width/Edge Sanding w/520

Post by dusty »

If you are compelled to offset the fence to facilitate edge sanding, it can be done by just aligning (malaligning) the fence. Loosen the four screws on the top, adjust the fence to where you want it and tighten the four screws.

I don't think that is what you really want to do.

Recommendation: Use your conical disk to do edge sanding. This is one of the primary features of the conical disk. Because of its shape, it does not lift the stock while edge sanding (if used correctly, in accordance with the instructions).

If you don't have a conical disk, you should really consider acquiring one!

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... nding.htm:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

teufelhund323 wrote:I have a question concerning sanding to width/edge sanding with the 520. In the PTWFE book and in the self study course, the rip fence is offset when width/edge sanding to prevent board lifting. This is accomplished by adjusting a setscrew on the fence of the 500 or 510. I have the 520 and cannot figure out how to offset the fence. No adjustment that I can see, and nothing in my PTWFE or self study books that mention the 520 for this operation. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I had the same question and ask the same question but no one had a reply so I did what I thought might work and it does. It may not be the best solution but hey, maybe it will give you some ideas and you can come up with a better way. Or maybe someone else here has done something different???

Since the 520 pro fence doesn't have the off-set feature I decided to build a face for the fence with a 1/8" off-set or taper (1/8" over the length of the fence). I then covered the surface with some of the self-stick UHMW material (it is like a thick tape) and attach the whole thing to the pro fence. The UHMW stuff comes in a roll and typical sized as 3/4" wide or 3" wide, for that reason I made mine 3" tall. I think I got my last roll at hartvilletool.com (item no. 22691) but a lot of people carry it.

Ed
teufelhund323
Silver Member

520-width/edge sanding

Post by teufelhund323 »

Dusty, Ed, thank you for your suggestions. Both are very much appreciated.
Tim :D
Belchertown, Mass.
520/Band Saw