Today in my shop (sticky pucks)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in my shop (sticky pucks)

Post by reible »

Hi,

Got out to the store today to check on the prices of hockey pucks. All they had were Made in Czeck Republic... sorry Tim. At a price of $1.29 I got four of them to experiment with.

The original ones are shown here:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21496&filter=bench%20cookies

And we had some discussion about them here:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3567
(post 11 is where it started)

I used some of the spray adhesive to attach some drawer liner to them. They are about 3" in diameter and tips the scale at 6-1/2oz (or so). I was going to trace the puck on the mat but with black mat it is hard to see so I went with sticking the mat on and trimming later.
[ATTACH]6529[/ATTACH]

They are still untested but it's a start just having them put together.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7193sc.jpg
DSCF7193sc.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:Hi,

Got out to the store today to check on the prices of hockey pucks. All they had were Made in Czeck Republic... sorry Tim. At a price of $1.29 I got four of them to experiment with.

The original ones are shown here:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21496&filter=bench%20cookies

And we had some discussion about them here:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3567
(post 11 is where it started)

I used some of the spray adhesive to attach some drawer liner to them. They are about 3" in diameter and tips the scale at 6-1/2oz (or so). I was going to trace the puck on the mat but with black mat it is hard to see so I went with sticking the mat on and trimming later.
[ATTACH]6529[/ATTACH]

They are still untested but it's a start just having them put together.

Ed
I'll bet they work great when you are done! BTW, at least they are knot made in China!:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

I bought 1 set from Rockler and then built 30 more. I used a double thickness of 3/4" x 10" x 30" mdf. Purchased some black rubber like 1/16" thick shelf liner from Lowes and contact cemented (like you would do a laminate) the rubber to the wood. Then I cut the wood to size on my table saw using my cross-cut sled ( rubber would not allow the wood to slide on the table saw). Cost of the shelf liner was $6, mdf was scrap and it used very little contact cement. So I got 30 blocks for $3.00 and have enough shelf liner for another 30. Spent about an hour making them. Seem to work great. They don't grip quite as well as the Rockler blocks but they do a decent job.

[ATTACH]6533[/ATTACH]
Attachments
benchCookie.jpg
benchCookie.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

Great idea using hockey pucks! Kind of right up my alley since I am in the game. I have been looking at thre Rockler ones and wishing it would be easier and cheaper to order fron Canada. Maybe now I don't have to wait.

I went back to your other post, #11, and got the same surprise on the price of pucks last year when I went to buy a few to make "trophies" for our annual year end party. I hadn't bought any since my kids were young even and found that those $0.25 pucks are no longer available.

Dave:

MDF also a good idea and may weigh a little less that pucks.

Have fun

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Am I guessing correctly that they square? How much do you think they weigh and have you tried heavier vs lighter??

Ed

bucksaw wrote:I bought 1 set from Rockler and then built 30 more. I used a double thickness of 3/4" x 10" x 30" mdf. Purchased some black rubber like 1/16" thick shelf liner from Lowes and contact cemented (like you would do a laminate) the rubber to the wood. Then I cut the wood to size on my table saw using my cross-cut sled ( rubber would not allow the wood to slide on the table saw). Cost of the shelf liner was $6, mdf was scrap and it used very little contact cement. So I got 30 blocks for $3.00 and have enough shelf liner for another 30. Spent about an hour making them. Seem to work great. They don't grip quite as well as the Rockler blocks but they do a decent job.

I'll attach a picture later.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Bucksaw had a great idea. I purchased a set from Rockler and like them so much I ordered a second set. I like them as much as the paint pyramids. Both serve a definite purpose. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

We are not hockey central around here so I had to go in a couple of stores to find any at all. All the hockey stuff together would have fit in the space of a shopsmith at one store. No one even had game pucks....

We use to play pond hockey, no boards just snow banks, no glass cause no one ever came to watch and a bunch of other rules like no padding, even the goalie, he could wear a mask and that was about it.... well yea we did wear some personal protection. Didn't matter much cause you had layer and layer of clothes on to keep warm. It wasn't uncommon to play for 6 hours on a Saturday with a few warming brakes at the bond fire we would make... sometimes the temperature would be below zero all day long. Ah the good old days.

When we moved down here I got a pair of figure skates... for a while it looked like I must have never ever skated... kind of got use to them and we would go to a small local lake that they plowed a trail along the edge for people to skate on. It was close to were I worked so I could even do some skating on my lunch "hour". That took me to about 30 years old then I was having some problems due to my running. Had to stop both and when I went to try and skate again when I was about 40 my ankles were to weak to spend more the 10 or 15 minutes skating, we went with a church group and I was the last one skating around so that was the last time one of those outing was done. That was also the last time I skated. However I can still ride a bike so you don't loose all of what you learned as a kid.

Ed

john wrote:Ed:

Great idea using hockey pucks! Kind of right up my alley since I am in the game. I have been looking at thre Rockler ones and wishing it would be easier and cheaper to order fron Canada. Maybe now I don't have to wait.

I went back to your other post, #11, and got the same surprise on the price of pucks last year when I went to buy a few to make "trophies" for our annual year end party. I hadn't bought any since my kids were young even and found that those $0.25 pucks are no longer available.

Dave:

MDF also a good idea and may weigh a little less that pucks.

Have fun

John
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Look what I found at Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?p=67844&cat=,54&ap=1

To bad it was after I placed an order, now they will have to be on my waiting list until next year.

Ed
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Just as a experiment I glued up some scrap oak, and turned on lathe, cut about 1" thick with band saw, then cut and glued a mouse pad on them. They work great.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joedw00 wrote:Just as a experiment I glued up some scrap oak, and turned on lathe, cut about 1" thick with band saw, then cut and glued a mouse pad on them. They work great.
If you need mouse pads, stop by your local military recruiters office. They are almost always "on sale" there at an unbelievably good price.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.