Lathe work

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

There happens to be a Router Crafter on Ebay right now, as we write. $280 -- yikes! I seem to remember them selling for $49.99. Here's a few photos to jog your memory:

[ATTACH]348[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]349[/ATTACH]

Personally, if I needed to make barleycorn turnings, I would probably opt to build the jig in Bill Hylton's "Router Magic." (Page 269) I know Fred Matlack who designed this tool. He's a master craftsman and a seasoned tool designer. Although I've never used his Router Lathe, his design looks to have a larger capacity, more vesatility, and more accuracy than the Router Crafter.

[ATTACH]347[/ATTACH]

With all good wishes,
Attachments
Router Lathe s.jpg
Router Lathe s.jpg (84.75 KiB) Viewed 13851 times
routercrafter1.jpg
routercrafter1.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 13412 times
routercraft2.jpg
routercraft2.jpg (48.51 KiB) Viewed 13662 times
curtis george
Gold Member

Post by curtis george »

Hello guys.

in the Shopsmith book,in the bandsaw section In my book its figure 14-28 when cutting spiral groves pg 180. this just might be one way to get your barley twist candle sticks made useing the shopsmith?

Another possible way to make barley twists candle sticks, is to use a machine called the Legacy ornamental mill. It is far better than the router-crafter. (although much more expensive as well.) I've owned one for 8 years now,it is a good machine, but remember its the craftsman who make the craft, not the machine/tool/jig... ;-)

thats just my two cents,worth .
have a good night.
C.A.G.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Lathe work

Post by masonsailor2 »

Although you can buy one you can build a lathe/router jig pretty easily. There are a ton of YouTube videos on the subject. They aren’t very complicated to build and cost only a few dollars worth of parts.
Paul
virohymyf
Bronze Member

Re: Lathe work

Post by virohymyf »

A forum to enjoy the general woodworking and the great session. You can Link deleted by moderator with the help from this zone in the best pattern. You can also find the section of the products here and can buy different things easily.