Below the 10ER table saw table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

patm1313
Gold Member

Below the 10ER table saw table

Post by patm1313 »

I'm going to acquire a 10ER SS soon and I was wondering if I could remove the insert for the table saw blade, remove the blade and whatnot, and make a system so that I could mount a router beneath it and use it as a router table. Is there anything in the way of me doing so?
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I'm pretty sure the table tie bar would be in the way of the router. I'll try to take some pictures of mine to give you an idea.
patm1313
Gold Member

Post by patm1313 »

Thanks. What is the table tie bar?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

patm1313 wrote:Thanks. What is the table tie bar?
It is the bar under the table which supports the table and connects the two ends of the trunion(the thing which rotates when tilting the table) and the support tubes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here are a couple of pictures of the underside:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1237763980

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1237763989

If you keep to a smaller router it might just fit but no promises on that.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
patm1313
Gold Member

Post by patm1313 »

What would be your estimate of the distance between the tie bar and the center of the blade slot?

By the way, thanks for the pics, they are very much appreciated and really help.
patm1313
Gold Member

Post by patm1313 »

And does anyone have any other ideas for routing on the 10ER? I'm embarking on more and more projects that require a router table, and I would like to use the smooth metal table on the 10er rather than building a routing table, which I really don't have enough room for.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Wish I could take some measurements for you except the pictures are from one that I no longer have so I have nothing to measure.

It sounds like a interesting thing to try so if you do decide to go that way please take some pictures and then post the results. My two tool loves are routers and the shopsmith and combining them makes it even more interesting.

Ed
patm1313 wrote:What would be your estimate of the distance between the tie bar and the center of the blade slot?

By the way, thanks for the pics, they are very much appreciated and really help.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

This may be a little late, but I just saw some pictures that made me remember this thread. It looks like my previous answer was wrong!

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »