Another "new" greenie joins the pack

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mikelst
Gold Member

Another "new" greenie joins the pack

Post by mikelst »

I managed to pick up a 1958 greenie on the local craigs list for $100.00
[ATTACH]4950[/ATTACH]
It came with a jointer and a jig saw. I am not going to dignify what I do as a restoration or refurbishment(I've seen the work some of you do while lurking around here.). Lets just say I am going to clean them up and make sure they are working good before I gift them out.

I know this is a poor picture but the jigsaw doesn't have mounting tubes on it. Can I use the tubes for a belt sander or band saw for this? (no manual either)

Mike
Attachments
58 as bought.jpg
58 as bought.jpg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 14522 times
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mikelst wrote:I managed to pick up a 1958 greenie on the local craigs list for $100.00
Mike

Hi Mike - Congrats on your Greenie purchase AND becoming part of the forum. Make sure to register in the Greenie poll

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3518http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/poll.htm?do=showresults&pollid=24

We've got 21 of them identified already.

Good luck and hope you have lots of good years of use. Any questions, ask.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Mike,

Good deal. I suspect you will get caught up in cleaning it up much like the rest of us. Good luck. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

mikelst wrote:I managed to pick up a 1958 greenie on the local craigs list for $100.00
It came with a jointer and a jig saw. I am not going to dignify what I do as a restoration or refurbishment(I've seen the work some of you do while lurking around here.). Lets just say I am going to clean them up and make sure they are working good before I gift them out.

I know this is a poor picture but the jigsaw doesn't have mounting tubes on it. Can I use the tubes for a belt sander or band saw for this? (no manual either)

Mike
I use the legs intended for a strip sander in my jigsaw.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
mikelst
Gold Member

Progress report on another new greenie

Post by mikelst »

Over the memorial day weekend SHMBO:p AND I took this in to the shop at work (with permission). We sandblasted all the painted surfaces, Wire brushed the tables and bright work, replaced the cracked and brittle electrical cord with a new grounded cord and grommet. I gutted the head stock and sand blasted the interior surface too.

I also set the tubes up on one of the lathes and used scotch bright abrasive pads on them to clean them up. I then finished them with some 600 grit emery cloth strips.

After this we primed all the painted surfaces and sprayed them with the green and silver hammered finish rustolium. I had just learned of the Hammered Verde Green and have not been able to find any locally.

I inspected the speed changer, quill lock and feed assembly, floating sheaves and drive sleeve. This all looked good but the bearings on the drive sleeve were loose.:(

We let the paint dry for a couple of days and I ordered some parts from ShopSmith (belts, screws, washers, springs ...). When the parts came in I put the headstock back together and ran it up and down in speed and it seems very strong. This should have a 3/4 hp motor but the label is missing so I couldn't verify that. However the bearings feel good and it is quiet with no discernable end play (by hand).

I may replace the quill bearing even though it feels good.:rolleyes: I acquired a drive sleeve with good bearings and started putting the headstock back together. The motor and floating sheaves both have a lube hole in them and after cleaning and test fitting them I lubed them with oil from my help kit. Put in the motor and gilmer system with new belts and test ran the headstock. It is very smooth.

I started putting together the base assembly and I am having problems with it going together properly The bench tubes don’t seem to be setting in the base and headrest properly. I have had it apart and back together numerous times and still I am not happy with the fit I am getting.:mad:

That brings you up to date. I am still looking for an aluminum sanding disk, toolrest head and Carriage Stop Ring. Some ordered from ShopSmith others I’m trying to scrounge.
[ATTACH]4951[/ATTACH]
I managed to get a copy of a 57 manual and brochure to include with the system. Not in the pictures but here also are lathe chisels, drive and cup arbors and a couple of face plates.

Also not pictured is a jointer that was rusted up pretty good(???). that we have cleaned up too.

That brings you up to date so far.

In the forground you can see the QA department checking my work.

Mike
Attachments
58 rework small.jpg
58 rework small.jpg (58.59 KiB) Viewed 14522 times
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

Mikelst, Great looking restoration. Another classic SS back in business. Thanks for sharing, John McCrossen
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Beautiful job Mike. What a differance from your before picture. Nice to see the TLC you put into her.

If you would like a "Caution Label" that was original to the Greenie's, PM your mailing address to me and I'll mail one out to you.

[ATTACH]4925[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_5547mod2.jpg
Img_5547mod2.jpg (14.22 KiB) Viewed 14571 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Wow what a beauty. Complete with the right wax and two shop dogs. What more could a fellow ask for. fjimp:D
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
mikelst
Gold Member

Jointer update.

Post by mikelst »

I said we had cleaned up the jointer. Here are some of those pictures.
[ATTACH]4948[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4944[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]4949[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4946[/ATTACH]
Attachments
jointer 2.jpg
jointer 2.jpg (32.86 KiB) Viewed 14521 times
jointer 4.jpg
jointer 4.jpg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 14528 times
jointer 1.jpg
jointer 1.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 14521 times
jointer 3.jpg
jointer 3.jpg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 14520 times
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Very nice looking unit now! I'm sure this greenie will be happy for some time to come!
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)