Using the speed reducer

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gsabin
Bronze Member

Using the speed reducer

Post by gsabin »

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on using the speed reducer for turning large bowls. How well does it work, and are you satisfied with the results you get from it?
tommae
Bronze Member

Speed Reducer

Post by tommae »

I bought the speed reducer and like it really well. With it you can run as low as 100 R.P.M. I turn segmented bowls and find it really works well with the larger ones. I also use a friction type wipe on finish on most bowls and find that with the speed reducer I can apply the finish without it being splattered all over the SS ,the shop,or me. Good Luck, Tom
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

I have used my speed reducer many times. When the not so round blocks or just heavy pieces start to wobble, the SS starts to bounce on the floor. Just can't get the hang of trying to hold the gouge steady when I am worried about the SS landing on my foot. :D

Like many of the SS accessories, the price seems a little steep but once I get and use it, I am glad I bought it. it also expands my range of usuable stock supplies.
Spike13
Gold Member

Speed reducer is worth the money!

Post by Spike13 »

Gsabin,
If you are going to be doing some heavy bowl or spindle turning, I highly recommend the speed reducer. Turning large bowls or pedestals for tables can be an adventure at 700 rpm's. With the speed reducer, you can get down to the 100 rpm's and be more comfortable and a whole lot safer with turning those larger diameters. Been there, done that syndrome!

If you want to do some large diameter drilling in steel or even use it for those larger Forstner bits, it will come in handy for those requirements, also. It can be used in the drill press mode without using the hold down as it will slide on the rails. :)

Safe woodworking,
Spike13
Life is a chip at a time, :D
Spike13