Emerson 1 1/8 hp start switch

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Carboncopy
Bronze Member

Emerson 1 1/8 hp start switch

Post by Carboncopy »

I am told that the start switch contacts are burnt out on my MarkV. It has the 1 1/8 hp emerson motor. Repair shop noted that this part is obsolete and can't get it anywhere. Anyone know where these parts may be available. Would preffer to just buy that rather than a cheap used one for parts.

Thanks,
cc
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Emerson 1 1/8 hp start switch

Post by DLB »

I don't know where you can get just a replacement start switch. Most Shopsmith start switch problems don't require replacement. The motors tend to gather a lot of sawdust that can interfere with the mechanical operation of the switch, in this case it just needs to be cleaned out. Switch contacts can also be polished or burnished to restore normal operation if there is carbon buildup. Avoid the temptation to lubricate the mechanical parts of the centrifugal switch, clean and dry is best in the Shopsmith environment.

- David
Carboncopy
Bronze Member

Post by Carboncopy »

The start switch circuit board/contact is 100% part of the problem, and needs to be replaced. I will just have to keep my eye out for a cheap used one for parts maybe.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One can always add a manually operated external switch. Not recommended but it is a work around.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange