SS 500 Router function?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tprowood
Gold Member

SS 500 Router function?

Post by tprowood »

I have a SS 500 that was upgraded to the double tilt by the previous owner. I'd like to know what experienced smithers think about using it for under table routing. And, what components would be needed. Thanks much
emmayashri
Bronze Member

Re: SS 500 Router function?

Post by emmayashri »

hey hi, you can use it for under table routing, especially with the double tilt upgrade. Ensure stable mounting and appropriate safety measures. Components like a sturdy table and suitable router bits are typically needed.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The closest I've come to this on a conventional headstock is shaping on my Greenie. There was a lot of noise and vibration, I felt it was unusable. Later conventional headstocks I've used were much better, but I've never used one for a high speed operation like routing or shaping. My suggestion is to set the machine up for under table operation, run the headstock at its highest speed, and see if the vibration seems tolerable to you. You don't need to buy anything to evaluate it. I do use the PowerPro occasionally as a router, and the results are acceptable though vibration at high speeds is certainly more than a router table at much higher speeds. I use a router quite a bit and strongly endorse a router table, but that's probably not for everyone.

To use it you'll need a router chuck, available for 1/2" and 1/4" shanks. For a few operations the rip fence will work. For some others, a rip fence with a sacrificial face will work. A shaper fence is probably the best choice, but also the most expensive if you don't already have one. I'd put that off until you've done some routing on the Mark. You'll need a table insert, the shaper insert is best because you can mount starter pins but you can do some operations with a drum sanding insert or you can make an insert. You'll need to use slow feed rates due to the relatively slow rotational speed of the Mark compared to a router.

Does your 500 main table have the double-rack mounting tubes? That is not common, as SS says they are for 510 and on, but I've heard of some people installing them on the 500. If you don't have that, you can reverse the table and carriage together for the under-table setup.

- David
tprowood
Gold Member

Post by tprowood »

@DLB, Thanks for the advice on checking out high speed vibration. I have a router table that I mount ion a cutout on one of my workbench. I store it away, and have a rectangular piece of plywood that matches its size. That way, I have a router table or a workbench. The router is good, I use it a lot. I'm always interested in making things more efficient, and that means using equipment to their maximum capability. If the SS is a good router, I'll use it.

I don't know what you mean by " double-rack mounting tubes" My SS looks like any typical 5XX series, with 4 tubes. Two lower and two upper. I'd love to have the newer tables, but that's a bit of a $$ for me.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

tprowood wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:27 pm

I don't know what you mean by " double-rack mounting tubes" My SS looks like any typical 5XX series, with 4 tubes. Two lower and two upper. I'd love to have the newer tables, but that's a bit of a $$ for me.
In under table operations (inverted drill press mode) the standard table will be upside because the rack on the two main table legs that engage the gears in the carriage are only cut on one side. The standard double tilt upgrade would provide you with legs that have the rack cut into both sides of the table legs. If you don't have that then you could also get a second table, remove the table legs and turn them around so the rack is on the other side. I've done that on a 500 table for my sanding shorty so I can use a drum sander from underneath. On a 500 table you can reverse the carriage lock and height adjust and lock controls but not the table tilt lock.

I tried to rout with a small bit on a 500 once, it was a Greenie with a 3/4HP motor in overhead mode. At 5200 RPM it was slow even on a shallow cut. With a 1-1/8HP motor I'd expect it to work better.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

tprowood wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:27 pm ...I have a router table that I mount ion a cutout on one of my workbench. I store it away, and have a rectangular piece of plywood that matches its size. That way, I have a router table or a workbench.
I doubt you'll use the Mark as an under table router then. The system does provide overhead, horizontal, and angled router capability and flexibility that would be difficult to reproduce on a typical router table.

Shopsmith used to sell a Mark mounted overarm router. In essence, it puts a router where the headstock goes with a rack and pinion adjust analogous to a quill feed. This solves any speed and vibration concerns. The flexibility of this is awesome. But setup and teardown is not. And as far as I know it does not support under table routing.

- David
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have found that for the most part the SS is an alright router but it does not have the rpm's that a router has. The router bits that need a higher rpm to cut properly do not work really well. The large router bits that need a slower speed work better. You do need to adjust your feed rate for a good cut.

At one point, Shopsmith made a router table that could be mounted on the SS rails. SS made both a SS mounted overarm pin router (OPR) and a stand alone version. Many users have made their own router tables that fit on the SS.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
tprowood
Gold Member

Post by tprowood »

I'll give it a shot, and report what my results are. Might be a while, as I'm in the midst of making toys, repairing/refurbishing a 2nd SS 500, and a joiner. That, plus spring yard work projects has my plate full.