Which Lathe upgrade?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jcrusso
Bronze Member

Re: Which Lathe upgrade?

Post by jcrusso »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:40 pm If you can wait for a sale, you can save some of the cost over the regular price. Sign up for email & promotions under the LEARNING heading to get sale information sent to you.
Well, I took your advice and signed up. And now it seems my arm is being bent, because I just got the email that it's on sale...
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:34 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:40 pm It's not limited to just turning but can be used with larger Drill Bits, think Forsner, which slows them down to avoid burning. The Conventional Mark V Headstock runs between 700 and 5200 RPMs.
Scott Markwood from My Growth Rings pointed out that the speed reducer doesn't work great for drilling because it's supposed to be locked down on the way tubes with a bracket assembly and then the quill can't be extended. That wouldn't affect using it in lathe mode.
FWIW, the email add I got today features the Speed Reducer and shows it used for drilling.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

At $50 off this is probably the best deal you will find on the Speed Reducer from Shopsmith.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 am FWIW, the email add I got today features the Speed Reducer and shows it used for drilling.
I'm sure it can be used for drilling. I haven't needed it for that because I have a PowerPro on my drill press. And because I have a PowerPro on my 510 also the only thing I may ever use it for is to run a ball mill at 35RPM or whatever that will turn out to be. So all I was doing was relating the information I had received, and maybe even didn't understand correctly.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
gkillebrew
Bronze Member

Post by gkillebrew »

I have a Shopsmith MarkV Model 500 1982. I inherited this from my father. I am missing the lathe tool rest and assorted pieces. What tool rest would be compatible with this model? I have also have a couple of other questions.
1. What is the difference between the two?
* Nova G3 Lathe chuck package #556212
•Nova Pro Tek Lathe chuck kit #556221
2. What is the difference between the Lathe cup center # 505716 and the live center #505602?

Thank you.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

gkillebrew,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Below is a picture of a Lathe Tool Rest Assembly from a Mark V made in March 1982. This is from the original Table System later refered to as the Mark V 500.

_
Lathe Tool Rest 03-82.jpg
Lathe Tool Rest 03-82.jpg (110.86 KiB) Viewed 626 times
They have the "threaded" Post and a shorter Arm than the other Mark V models 510/505, 520, Mark 7 & Mark 4. The 8" Tool Rest itself is the same for all Lathe Tool Rest Assemblies.

I don't have the Nova Pro Tek Lathe chuck kit #556221 so I cannot tell you the difference between the two. Someone else may provide that information.

As for the difference between the Lathe Cup Center P/N 505716 and the Live Center P/N 505602 the first is also known as a "Dead" Center. It has a fixed cup with a point while the Live Center has a cup mounted to a bearing allowing the cup & point to turn with the item being driven by the lathe. The Live Center reduces the chance of "burning" the end of the item being turned since a free turning Live Center does not create the friction a regular Lathe Cup (dead) Center does. The first picture below is a Lathe Cup Center followed by a Lathe Live Center.

_
505716 w-tube.jpg
505716 w-tube.jpg (19.89 KiB) Viewed 626 times
505602 with box Magna Am.jpg
505602 with box Magna Am.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
emmayashri
Bronze Member

Post by emmayashri »

It depends on your specific need and preference. If you primarily turn bowls and require slower speeds for larger projects and finishing, the speed reducer upgrade would likely be the biggest improvement for you. However, if you find the stock tool rest inconvenient and struggle with its usability, then the universal tool rest upgrade could greatly increase your overall turning experience.