AO Smith Motor Shaft End Nut

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: AO Smith Motor Shaft End Nut

Post by DLB »

Duckman wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:38 pm The picture is really helpful. I could never find an owner's manual going back to when the motor shaft spring was held in with a nut versus a retaining ring and washer. I am pretty sure they went to the retaining ring by 57 or 58 at the latest. I did not realize the original nut was big enough to hold on the spring without a washer. I ran across some pictures that made it look like the nut or retaining ring was on top of a metal shot glass that covered the spring. I have never seen that "cup" for sale on ebay or anywhere else. I suspect it was only done a short production run. My plan is to use a washer with a 1/2" interior diameter. Not ideal or original but it should work. Might put on a dab of locktite although it should not be necessary with the reverse thread.
My '57 has that metal shot glass. A GE motor. (The shot glass has a hole in the bottom of it for the shaft, not ideal for shots.) The cup is held on with a snap ring, similar to the later motors, and I think the hole is 5/8". (No reduced diameter at the end for the nut like yours.)

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Duckman,

The Drawings in the Owner's Guide for the first three editions were not very detailed for the motor itself as shown below.

_
Motor p26 8-55 .jpg
Motor p26 8-55 .jpg (105.66 KiB) Viewed 369 times
This is from the third edition but the motor is drawn the same. This also shows the Bearing Retainers (far left under the eccentric) mentioned in the other thread. In the next edition (4th) of the Owner's Guide the motor drawing changed to having the capacitor mounted on the rear. The Spring Cup and Retaining Ring replaced the special nut on the motor shaft.

Unfortunately, so far, the Mark 5 Greenies I have owned and restored have been 1956 or later.

Question: do you have an Owner's Guide for your Mark 5?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Duckman
Gold Member

Post by Duckman »

The big picture is helpful. thannk you. I have several owners manuals. I am pretty sure they are all from after 1970. At least one is probably after 1980. I have the retainers, A3274. Not in great condition but they should work. If not I will fabricate something that will work out of aluminum stock. This 54 restoration is proving a longer haul than anticipated, but it was only $35. I have an 84 headstock to rebuild after that. My 81 headstock is usable but I would like to rebuild it with new bearings. I resorted it a few years ago but just cleaned it and changed the belts. Then I have an old 18 inch jigsaw to restore. and a i want to put knew bearing on my jointer.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Duckman,

There is a restored PDF copy of each the first three Owner's Guides available at the link below. You can also find it under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first four topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there while others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. On Everett's Google Drive is the heading 1954+ Mark 5 which has the first three editions of the Owner's Guides.

viewtopic.php?t=16113

Edition 1 is the first dated 3/54 followed by the second edition of 7/54 and the third of 4/55. The biggest change between the first and second editions was the addition of the Bearing Retainers and the change to the Clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly. The serial number would tell us when your Mark 5 was made.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Duckman,

Just so you can see it below is a picture of the shaft end of an A. O. Smith 3/4 HP Motor.

_
Motor A O Smith 3-4 shaft end.jpg
Motor A O Smith 3-4 shaft end.jpg (93.65 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Russ

Mark V 520