Johnson's Paste Wax

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Johnson's paste wax(original)

Post by JPG »

Found it at HOME DEPOT in the "cleaning" aisle. Pix follows.

[ATTACH]3170[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3171[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3172[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3173[/ATTACH]

I also like the 'feel' of it better than minwax.:)
Attachments
jpw1.jpg
jpw1.jpg (336.58 KiB) Viewed 10868 times
jpw2.jpg
jpw2.jpg (328.89 KiB) Viewed 10870 times
jpw3.jpg
jpw3.jpg (316.6 KiB) Viewed 10859 times
jpw4.jpg
jpw4.jpg (325.78 KiB) Viewed 10850 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

SC Johnson will sell it to you directly if you can't find it close to home:

http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I really haven't noticed any hardeners in the wax I'm using. I figure if I stay away from car wax, per the instruction for waxing, then I should be okay. I'm not convinced with the idea that Johnson's is the only type of furniture paste wax to use. Besides, in another thread I seem to remember Nick saying that the wax doesn't build up, it merely replaces the previous layer.

BPR
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Dear Ryan,

To tell if the wax you are using has any anti-slip properties is to check the ingredients, if you can understand all the chemical lingo.

What happened in years past is the OSHA started regulating what goes into certain waxes to prevent falls and accidents, (ie. slipping on floors at the grocery store, lobbies of hotels, etc.) to cut down on lawsuits mostly. Its not hardners that they require but anti-slip ingredients.

The original Johnson Paste Wax does not contain these because the formula and patent are so old that OSHA decided not to require these ingredients. If Johnson was to change the formula in any way though, then they will be required to add the anti-slip stuff into it.

The reason Shopsmith pushed the use of Johnson Wax is so your wood will glide along the tables, and the headstock will slide along the way tubes without much effort, along with helping prevent your tools from rusting. Using wax with the non-slip stuff can cause your wood to bind on the table and make it hard to slide the headstock from one end to the other.

If you have been using a modern-day furniture wax you might not notice the difference until you give Johnson wax a try. You might be surprised what a difference it really makes. If you do want to give it a try, make sure you remove the old wax from your tools before applying the Johnson wax.

Also, the modern wax contains chemicals that will cause more wax build-up than the Johnson and you will need to remove that waxy layer more often. If you are using "furniture wax" it is not the same as Johnson. Furniture wax does build up and will start causing problems over the years. Johnson is a general paste wax that can be used on wood, metal and leather. You wouldn't use "furniture" wax on metal or leather because of the build-up and the non-slip and various other chemicals that are added to it.

Some furniture wax also contains silicone that if it gets on the bare wood of your project it can cause problems when it comes time to stain and finish your project.

Yes, Johnson will wear down over time and that is why they recommend you apply it on a regular schedule according to how much you use your tools. But it does always leave a thin layer and over time your tools will become smoother to operate. The only way to remove all the wax is to clean all the surfaces that have wax on them using mineral spirits. If you need to remove any rust, this should be done before applying a fresh coat of wax.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Well although I'm still not quite convinced, the next time I go to Lowe's I'll pick up a can and try it out and see for myself.

Thanks,
BPR
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

ryanbp01 wrote:Well although I'm still not quite convinced, the next time I go to Lowe's I'll pick up a can and try it out and see for myself.

Thanks,
BPR

BPR, if the wax your using works, stick with it till it gone.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Has anyone else had old cans of Johnson Paste Wax start to go real soft after several years? I have thrown out old cans with a little wax left in them because it was much softer than a new can.

Could be the summer heat here in Arizona.
Jim in Tucson
dusty
Platinum Member

Johnson's Paste Wax

Post by dusty »

james.miller wrote:Has anyone else had old cans of Johnson Paste Wax start to go real soft after several years? I have thrown out old cans with a little wax left in them because it was much softer than a new can.

Yes, Jim our summer heat probably does soften the wax somewhat but if you are going to discard it you can send it my way. I'll put it in one of my partial cans and use it.

I thought that it was getting hard to find but I am wrong. I went to ACE today - just to check on wax. They had it. I bought it.

Then I found myself at Home Depot for some strange reason. Oh, I was waiting for Pets Mart to open. They don't open that early so I wondered around, killing time. Found Johnson's Wax. A whole shelf full of it. Three dollars cheaper than Ace had just charged me.

Stopped at Ace on the way home with cat food and got a refund from Ace.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

james.miller wrote:Has anyone else had old cans of Johnson Paste Wax start to go real soft after several years? I have thrown out old cans with a little wax left in them because it was much softer than a new can.

I've never had a can that's lasted more than a year, but yes, I get liquid wax that gathers in the center depression of wax during the summer hot period.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Johnson's paste wax seems to work well on a snow shovel to. To keep snow from sticking to it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob