Sawsmith RAS speed control question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bob84
Gold Member

Sawsmith RAS speed control question

Post by bob84 »

I have an old Sawsmith RAS model 700000.

The motor will run and speed control dial will turn but, nothing will happen in the way of the speed changing.

Any suggestions or ideas?
It is still too cold where my shop is to take it apart but next weeks weather looks better.

Thanks again!
dstensland
Gold Member

Re: Sawsmith RAS speed control question

Post by dstensland »

There's a small set screw on the speed control knob. Tighten yours and see if that helps. You may need to readjust it a second time to get your speed indicator positioned correctly.
bob84
Gold Member

Post by bob84 »

Thanks very much for your suggestion.
That fixed the problem! The speed control works like it is supposed to work.
Next question, now what should I do with three working Sawsmith RAS 70000 models?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bob84 wrote:Thanks very much for your suggestion.
That fixed the problem! The speed control works like it is supposed to work.
Next question, now what should I do with three working Sawsmith RAS 70000 models?
'Price' them. :D But not here!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

I know this is an old thread, but what would cause the speed control to not stay in position at the lowest speed? I am still in the process of cleaning and restoring my SawSmith RAS and it started to do this. Basically, it jumps up a speed on its own after placed in lowest speed setting.
Thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am not familiar with the RAS, but with a reeves drive some means must be provided to either detent or clamp the control 'knob'. The belt tension will cause the speed shift. FWIW the power station drifts to slow. Perhaps due to different tension in/out?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

JPG wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:44 am I am not familiar with the RAS, but with a reeves drive some means must be provided to either detent or clamp the control 'knob'. The belt tension will cause the speed shift. FWIW the power station drifts to slow. Perhaps due to different tension in/out?
Thanks. I will tinker with it with some more. It holds on the speed for doing regular cross cut sawing but I was thinking about using the drum sander at lower speeds.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Have you looked at The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread? You can download a manual and exploded parts document for your model and there is a boatload of info about the machine scattered through the thread. Maybe a good idea to post your question in that thread. There is a spring putting pressure on the speed dial to hold it in position. The speed dial is more directly connected to the variable sheave than with a Shopsmith speed control so the pressure from the variable drive will feedback to the speed dial. I'd have to go over the mechanism again but it may just be the dial spring has weakened or broken.

ETA: I see you have been in that thread. Your restoration must be going well since you're using the saw.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

edma194 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 pm Have you looked at The Ultimate Sawsmith Radial Arm Saw Thread? You can download a manual and exploded parts document for your model and there is a boatload of info about the machine scattered through the thread. Maybe a good idea to post your question in that thread. There is a spring putting pressure on the speed dial to hold it in position. The speed dial is more directly connected to the variable sheave than with a Shopsmith speed control so the pressure from the variable drive will feedback to the speed dial. I'd have to go over the mechanism again but it may just be the dial spring has weakened or broken.

ETA: I see you have been in that thread. Your restoration must be going well since you're using the saw.
Thanks for responding... I need to remove the knob and check the spring. More to follow.