edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Work Boots for Woodworking

Post by edma194 »

♫ These boots were made for woodworkin'... ♫
♫ And that's just what they'll do... ♫
♫ One of these days these boots are gonna woodwork all over you... ♫
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Maybe the best approach would be to allow this sort of thread to die a natural death. Don't respond at all.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

dusty wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:42 am Maybe the best approach would be to allow this sort of thread to die a natural death. Don't respond at all.
I agree. :D
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

dusty wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:42 am Maybe the best approach would be to allow this sort of thread to die a natural death. Don't respond at all.
Where's the fun it that! :D
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

LOL boots??? BOOTS ?? we dont need any stinking boots ?????? lol ,,,, I was at a family run mill not long ago and a couple of the kids were running around in bare feet !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Actually this is a valid subject in spite of a possibly shaky origin. My wood shop is 1500 sq. ft. (36' x 40' plus a small old cellar room) in the basement of the west wing of the house and all concrete. My feet, legs and back have NEVER liked concrete floors after a few minutes of standing.
I do have two thick 4' x 6' rubber mats in front of the workbench that feel great but I can't do that with the whole floor. Too hard to roll machines around. :) What I can do is be very careful about what kind of shoes I wear. I Keep a pair of very cushioned sole work shoes parked at the top of the mostly open basement stairs. I use high top shoes because I often go in and out of the outside access door (my only basement window) moving firewood in and ashes out, often in several inches of snow. I only lace them up a couple if inches so that I can instantly step in or out of them without wasting time with lacing them up. I never walk into the main part of the house in them to avoid tracking sawdust. I keep a long handled shoe horn hanging at the top of the stairs to keep it easy.
Note that my workbench sits just inside of that outside door/window to take maximum advantage of the available natural light and being able to look outside from time to time.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Areba21
Silver Member

Post by Areba21 »

robinson46176 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:05 am Actually this is a valid subject in spite of a possibly shaky origin. My wood shop is 1500 sq. ft. (36' x 40' plus a small old cellar room) in the basement of the west wing of the house and all concrete. My feet, legs and back have NEVER liked concrete floors after a few minutes of standing.
I do have two thick 4' x 6' rubber mats in front of the workbench that feel great but I can't do that with the whole floor. Too hard to roll machines around. :) What I can do is be very careful about what kind of shoes I wear from this store. I Keep a pair of very cushioned sole work shoes parked at the top of the mostly open basement stairs. I use high top shoes because I often go in and out of the outside access door (my only basement window) moving firewood in and ashes out, often in several inches of snow. I only lace them up a couple if inches so that I can instantly step in or out of them without wasting time with lacing them up. I never walk into the main part of the house in them to avoid tracking sawdust. I keep a long handled shoe horn hanging at the top of the stairs to keep it easy.
Note that my workbench sits just inside of that outside door/window to take maximum advantage of the available natural light and being able to look outside from time to time.
Keen has a large choice of work boots for work. They're not as heavy as Doc Martins and don't fatigue your legs. Many boots feature shanks on the sole, so you have some support for ladder rungs as well. They are also waterproof. For me , waterproof work boots are way too to be my style. Toe caps, for instance, are made of various materials. One of them is it suggested to use using a composite cap. Keen caps are created to not cut your toes. I've worn a variety of shoes for work and Keen are fantastic. Merrill offers a top-quality product but doesn't have as many choices for large feet as my own. There are tennis shoe designs, full and mid boot styles, and more.
Last edited by Areba21 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefferyk2
Bronze Member

Post by Jefferyk2 »

Nice, I've been contemplating getting some hiking style boots. I'm the same way up to now, I'm getting the most comfortable pair. Marks has a great return policy, too. I'm curious about what the rest of the world thinks of it and the redwings are a sure success.