SCROLL SAW TABLE INSERT

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

FraudDog
Bronze Member

SCROLL SAW TABLE INSERT

Post by FraudDog »

I came upon an almost unused stand alone SS scroll/jig saw. It is missing the 3 inch round table insert and have had no luck trying to find one.

Anyone have one to sell? Anyone know where I can get one?

I am new to SS so I may be asking many questions in the future and I always find forums of like minded folks the best way to gain information.

Thanking everyone in advance
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: SCROLL SAW TABLE INSERT

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Forum.

First it is important to know if you have a Jig Saw or a Scroll Saw. There is a difference even though many people use the names as the same tool. The picture below is a Shopsmith Jig Saw. I happens to be a Greenie from 1957 that I restored. Later they were painted in the Goldie paint scheme in the early 1960's. After that they were painted gray with a black arm.
Jig Saw 1957 Greenie.jpg
Jig Saw 1957 Greenie.jpg (99.44 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
If this is what you have than the Table Insert is Part Number 502254 which is no longer available new from Shopsmith. It will have to be found used.

If you have a Scroll Saw like the one shown in the picture below or the earlier gray one (bottom picture), you will need part number 515196 which is no longer available new from Shopsmith. The newer Scroll Saws, as seen in the picture below, have a slot cut in the table and no longer have a need for an insert.
Scroll Saw - teal.jpg
Scroll Saw - teal.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
A gray Scroll Saw table is shown below and you can see the table insert it uses.
Scroll Saw Block Holder.jpg
Scroll Saw Block Holder.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
Both the Gray and Teal Scroll Saws have had versions made mounted on a stand and for Mark Mounting.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
FraudDog
Bronze Member

Post by FraudDog »

Thanks. Mine is the scroll saw as in the bottom (last) photo. So I need part 515106.
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

I believe they are about a 1/4" thick and could be made from hardboard. I have made some for a bandsaw from aluminum, but they were not 1/4 thick. I was luck that I had a hole saw of the correct diameter.
If you had a 3" hole saw it should be easy to make.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is what my saw looks like:
ss1.jpg
ss1.jpg (149.51 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg (137.42 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
ss3.jpg
ss3.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
It looks to be about 3" in diameter and a 1/4" thick. I see no problem making your own out of either hardwood, or plastic and even a good grade of plywood.

There is nothing very critical about the center opening or the path to it. I would make it slightly over sized then sand to fit.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
FraudDog
Bronze Member

Post by FraudDog »

Yup, mine is exactly like Rieble's. I guess I will try the 3 inch hole saw and some 1/4 inch plastic. Thanks everyone
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As you can see from the pictures in Ed's and my posts the table inserts are different but the part number I gave before is the one for Ed's table insert. I looked at a different parts list first in a 1998 manual and found the one for yours and Ed's. That insert does look a lot like the one for the Jig Saw. The part number for mine is actually 516061 and is still available since it is the same table insert that the Band Saw with the aluminum table uses (P/N 516173.) There has been quite a few changes in the Scroll Saw since its introduction in 1987. My Scroll Saw made in March of 1990 has what they called at the time (12-89) the newer design table which included the Blade Mounting Guide and a different Table Insert Opening. It includes four leveling screws under the insert. The quick release blade blocks came out in 1994 and eliminated the need for the Blade Mounting Guide. There was a separate Blade Mounting Fixture P/N 515183 for the early Scroll Saws but that is no longer available. Maybe the Blade Block Upgrade is cheaper so the Guide was discontinued.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Adding to the thread with yet another scroll saw inset variation. Mine has two rubber plugs which I *believe* were intended to friction fit the cover in place to prevent rattling.
20201229_140825.jpg
20201229_140825.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 2294 times