Elusive motor pulley cover

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

badtheba
Gold Member

Elusive motor pulley cover

Post by badtheba »

It's been a while since I posted here. Life is only getting more hectic with a job change in 2018, a 1 year old at home, and another on the way. However, I haven't let the SS passion die, and have a sweet spot for 10ERs since that was what I started with for my first restoration. I think I have 5 ERs and a Mark V 510 now. It's hard to keep track.

Just to prove that it always pays to browse the ads... I saw this on Craigslist a few weeks back and had to do several double takes to figure out if I was really seeing what I thought I saw.
SS10ERparts.png
SS10ERparts.png (198.58 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Picked up the machine with a flexible light, jigsaw and a few other odds and ends for $150. Just the pulley cover made it well worth it.

I've put a bunch of photos with some dimensions over on the 10E/ER Facebook group, where a member is hopefully making a working 3D computer model that can be printed.
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
cover2.jpg
cover2.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
cover3.jpg
cover3.jpg (70.26 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
cover4.jpg
cover4.jpg (7.56 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: Elusive motor pulley cover

Post by badtheba »

Here is the result of the 3D modeling effort based off the photos and measurements. This has now been made into a 3D printable file (can't be uploaded here directly). The creator has added some reinforcement because of the materials available for printing.
SS10ERcover.png
SS10ERcover.png (54.47 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I joined the Facebook 10ER group shortly after you posted this originally, even though I find Facebook rather difficult to navigate. (It seems to me as if they want to decide what I should see, instead of making it easy for me to find what I’m actually interested in.) I checked the 10ER group just now, and couldn’t find any updates on this pulley cover. Can you point me in the right direction?
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

I don't know if this will bring you there or not, it should if you are logged in and a group member. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shopsmi ... 0503065685

Doug Smith sent me the file through messenger and said I could share it here, but I can't upload .stl files. He may add it to the Facebook group files list.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

badtheba,

Nice find. Patience and watching the ads pays off. You have only the third one I know of and John has the other two. Although I would like to have one I think I'll be patient and wait for an original instead of a replica. I believe it is the only Model 10 accessory I don't have.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

Russ,

Are there many other actual photos of the part? I literally googled every combination I could think of and only found the photos of the brochures/catalogs from Magna and Wards, not an actual photo of the item. Even scrolling through pages and pages of google image results showed nothing. The mentions on the forum here that I could find only show brochures. The mentioned eBay listings are long gone. That's why I wanted to at least get some details and documentation out there, since it was 100% intact.
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

Now you know of a fourth one. I bought a 10ER some years ago and it had a cast lower pulley guard. It appears identical to the one in these photos. The machine I use it on does not have a speed changer and the guard does make changing the belt positions a little tricky.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

badtheba,

Other than pictures of it like yours I have only seen it in catalogs for that time.

cham-ed,

Now I know of four of them existing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

This has been officially produced by someone with a 3D printer on the 10E/ER Facebook group. Not mine.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk