Found set screw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Found set screw

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I found a set screw on the floor next to my Shopsmith while cleaning up. The set screw is 5/16 - 18 x 2" and I just can not think of anywhere on the Shopsmith that uses a set screw that big. I checked the extra set screws from the help kit but there is nothing that big in it either. Does anyone have an idea where it would go? Not a very good picture.
20200916_101337_opt.jpg
20200916_101337_opt.jpg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Found set screw

Post by DLB »

The SS Extension Table Brackets 555997 have setscrews like that for adjusting height. Off the top of my head that is the only one I'm sure of. The bandsaw (Aluminum table) has a fairly long setscrew also, but I'm less sure of the size.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry Brenda I cannot think of anywhere on the Mark V, Jointer, Belt Sander or Bandsaw that uses that long of a 5/16" set screw. I remember looking at something a while back that has a long set screw, probably an accessory but I cannot remember what. I work on Model 10's a lot but I don't think it was something from them. Those have more 3/8" and 1/4" set screws and very few 5/16" ones and no 5/16" ones that long for any Model 10 or accessory. If it goes to anything Shopsmith maybe someone else will know.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Do you own a pair of extension table brackets? There are some long set screws on those. [EDIT: Oops, I see David already beat me to the punch on this.]
Last edited by algale on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David might have the answer. He said
The SS Extension Table Brackets 555997 have setscrews like that for adjusting height.
I just checked and it uses 2" long set screws. The one he suggested on the aluminum Band Saw table appears shorter than 2".
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

It was off of the extension table brackets. I did not originally look at them as they were on their storage hook on the end of the wood/clamp cart stored at the other end of the SS.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

I'm pretty sure I've found one or two on the floor, too. They seem to like to unscrew themselves from the brackets over time.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Consider yourself lucky if you found the place for the "errant" screw. Some years back I found a short setscrew on the floor under my Shopsmith. I never found a place where one was missing so it ended up in my parts cabinet, and every job since then has worked for me so I've never found the place for the missing screw.
It is still in storage as a spare today.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:Consider yourself lucky if you found the place for the "errant" screw. Some years back I found a short setscrew on the floor under my Shopsmith. I never found a place where one was missing so it ended up in my parts cabinet, and every job since then has worked for me so I've never found the place for the missing screw.
It is still in storage as a spare today.
Same thing happened to me about 10 years ago.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT