Server updates - Forum software and spam prevention

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

admin
Gold Member

Server updates - Forum software and spam prevention

Post by admin »

Hi everyone,

We have enabled a new CAPTCHA security image for registrations. Hopefully this will prevent or at least reduce the amount of spam. The previous security image did not change for each new registration, so spammers could repeatedly register new accounts after they had figured out the answer once. This new CAPTCHA security image should change for each new registration.

The board software also supports google ReCAPTCHA (the anti-spam "click all the images of sidewalks" etc) style, however there was a bug enabling that, so we need to update the forum software before we can use it.

We will be updating the forum software on the server today. The database and files have been backed up. There may be some down time so please be patient.

Thank you for bringing the spam issue to our attention. Please continue to click the "report this post" link on spam posts if you see them.

Thanks again to everyone who uses the board and to the moderators who have been putting the time in to maintain the forum.

Best regards,
Dan M
Shopsmith IT
Shopsmith I.T.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Server updates - Forum software and spam prevention

Post by jsburger »

:D :D :D :D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
admin
Gold Member

Re: Server updates - Forum software and spam prevention

Post by admin »

Quick update-

I attempted to update the forum software but it requires updating some other software on the server which we can't do yet.

Long story short, I'll have to migrate the forum to one of our newer servers before we can update the forum software, so it will have to wait a few more days.

However the new CAPTCHA is in place for registrations, so hopefully that will help with the spam.

Thanks
Dan M
-Shopsmith IT
Shopsmith I.T.