SPAM POSTS

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

SPAM POSTS

Post by everettdavis »

We had another series of spam posters show up

Since one has to be a member to post anything it would stand to reason that we should tighten up the application process to help prevent auto responding automated spammers from being able to successfully register and reply, enabling them to post.

Admin, is there any way we can strengthen the membership registration process?

Everett
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: SPAM POSTS

Post by rpd »

They certainly seem to be getting more numerous of late. :(

A more stringent way of approving new members would certainly be welcome.
I don't thing Admin spends a lot of time on this forum, I suspect they have a lot more pressing things on their plate.
They do, do a good job of removing the spam that is reported (flagged) to them. there is a lot of it that comes in every night and it is pretty much all gone by morning

Being on the West coast I often report some after most members have gone to bed and see many more that have already been reported by other members.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I asked before here why they couldn't ask one or more questions of new members before approving them. I have joined other online forums where this is common practice and those forums don't seem to be overrun with spam like this forum is at times. Also the Shopsmith groups on Facebook require members answer some basic Shopsmith questions before joining as well. I would think that putting some kind of security check like this in place for new members would save quite a bit of time in not having to remove spam in the first place...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It is impossible to stop all the spammers using software. Software security simply doesn't work nearly 100%.
I'm a member on another forum that has a more stringent registration for posting. One of the moderators or administrators needs to approve all new members before they are allowed to post. That stops many of the spammers because if they can't get in without registering and waiting for approval, they simply take their crap somewhere else. However, some of them still manage to bypass the software security and post without being approved.
The best solution is to have multiple administrators and moderators who have the ability to nuke the spammers. That way, more eyes are looking and the spammers get sent packing much sooner than if one person has to handle all the work.
mayl
Bronze Member

Post by mayl »

Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We are planning to start by improving the security of user registration using a better CAPTCHA security question. If that doesn't solve the problem we will go from there.

We have had a change of IT staff recently and are still getting a handle on forum administration.

We appreciate you all reporting spam by clicking the "report this post" button, and moderators reviewing and removing offending posts. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

-Shopsmith IT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mayl wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We are planning to start by improving the security of user registration using a better CAPTCHA security question. If that doesn't solve the problem we will go from there.

We have had a change of IT staff recently and are still getting a handle on forum administration.

We appreciate you all reporting spam by clicking the "report this post" button, and moderators reviewing and removing offending posts. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

-Shopsmith IT
It seems much of the spam includes cyrillic characters. Looking at the member info there are cyrillic characters there as well.

I believe filtering out those who use cyrillic characters would eliminate many spammers/posts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange