Looking for advice on cutting thin plastic tubes

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for advice on cutting thin plastic tubes

Post by reible »

Thanks there have been some interesting solutions presented.

Again the cutting isn't really an issue but the quality of the cut is.

I used a external tube for one test, and while that might seem odd it too works because there is no room for the thin tube to distort thus it stays pretty round during the cut.

Having said that I do like the idea of the dowel and perhaps the idea of turning it after the ruff cut to clean the edge on the lathe. I wish they made a dowel of the correct diameter so I wouldn't have to do so much work. I was thinking that I could use the jaws of a chuck to clamp over the thin tube with the tight fitting dowel inside then a live center on dowel at the cutting end and a sharp carbide cutter.....

Another suggestion I have had else where was one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G ... UTF8&psc=1

I've actually looked at these before for other projects but have never purchased one to try. I might just get one and even if it a bust for this I would have other uses for it.

Might have a go at making a dowel later today if I can find some stock or other wise glue up something for another day.

The pipe cutter might also work, I do have one that is large enough but cleaning it up for this might be a far amount of work, after all it has been around oily pipes for a lot of years.....

Then again maybe I'm just over thinking this. The viewtainers have such nice edges but do I really need to have my home made ones be so nice?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Take two on the project.

I went back to wrapping tape on the cut line and then used the miter saw to make the cut. Saw on high speed and lock so it was not able to slide. This was pretty much what I had done before. I first used the slowest saw speed thinking that would be better but it wasn't. Critical is the letting the saw stop before raising.

Next I got out my heat gun. At first try I thought it was discoloring the plastic but as it cool that went away. I also go some sag on my first try, you have to keep it rotating like when you blow glass.... Had it set at 600 degrees which is more then it needed I think but it worked. The edge is still not polished but much better then before. I'd say it good enough.

So you buy the Rockler track for about $9 and get a free viewtainer abet small diameter but adjustable length for almost free.

And yes I have some pictures to share but that will have to be a bit later.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Pictures of the tube ends didn't really work out but I did have a few others that I can share.
tu1.jpg
tu1.jpg (161.87 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
tu2.jpg
tu2.jpg (176.06 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
tu3.jpg
tu3.jpg (189.72 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Yea all this fuss for such a small thing. Well I do have more tubes and more things that can be put in them so this will be an on going adventure.

Ed
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

what about using a abrasive cut off wheel in a dremel tool ? ya may even get by with using the cut off wheel in you drill ? suggestion 2 would be a pair of tin snips and work it off o a angle until it is the right length .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Do you have a electric angle grinder/die grinder? I've cut and trimmed vinyl siding with an angle grinder equipped with a carborundum cut off wheel and had great success. No melting or burning. Smooth and straight cuts.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

On a "How It's Made" program I caught yesterday:
For fine brass trombone tubes, they froze ice into the tubing and then cut it :)

Chris
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

nuhobby wrote:On a "How It's Made" program I caught yesterday:
For fine brass trombone tubes, they froze ice into the tubing and then cut it :)

Chris
Brilliant! :cool:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:

Chris
Wonder if they freeze the ice from one end so the expansion does not burst the tubing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:

Chris
Wonder if they freeze the ice from one end so the expansion does not burst the tubing.
That might be a real problem with thin plastic tube.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
joshi123
Bronze Member

Post by joshi123 »

I would attempt the dowel inside then mounted in toss and keeping in mind that turning I would utilize an utility blade to do the cutting. In the event that I would utilize the bandsaw I would utilize dowel inside with tape around the plastic to then make the cut, on the off chance that vital, at that point sanding plate to smooth the edge.
[url=https://amtemu.pro/]amtemu lightroom[url]