Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER

Post by chapmanruss »

I have seen broken Table Riser Bars before which also surprises me that they get broken. I have also seen them welded or brazed back together. Remember to always loosen the two table post lock knobs on the carriage before turning the crank to raise or lower the table height.

As for the hole behind the Logo/Serial Number Plate the later manuals refer to it for access to the switch. This is something I talked about in my Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where thread. Later Model 10ER's had the version 7 Headstock with that hole and the Plate was held in place, most commonly, by pin at the top and a screw at the bottom. edma194 if you remove one or both of the screws you can rotate or remove the plate to expose the hole. If your Headstock doesn't have a hole behind the plate it is a version 6 Headstock and someone likely replaced the pins that held the plate on with screws. Without actually seeing that the hole is there it is hard to tell if one is a version 6 or 7 Headstock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER - Speed Selector

Post by edma194 »

Here's something else that came with the 10ER, a Speed Selector 'Computer'.
Attachments
speed selector gauge 1.jpg
speed selector gauge 1.jpg (81.17 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
speed selector gauge 2.jpg
speed selector gauge 2.jpg (81.12 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have some of those. It is basically the Speed Chart in the PDF attached below in a different format.
Shopsmith Speed Chart.pdf
(231.04 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: A couple of questions, does the fence have the block on the end of the lock knob or just the threaded end? Is there a hole in the headstock behind the Logo/Serial Number Plate?
Grabbed a picture of the headstock and fence for you. I assume that is the access hole behind the nameplate. It was attached with two screws. Not sure what you mean with the fence though, is it something showing in that picture? Also included a picture of the tailstock, all intact.
Attachments
headstock hole.jpg
headstock hole.jpg (174.7 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
fence.jpg
fence.jpg (185.92 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
tailstock.jpg
tailstock.jpg (157.6 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think his fence question has to do with the fact that his fence has the angled locking knob screw.

AIUI the early version tended to move the fence as the knob was tightened and a later version fixed that with 'something' placed between the rotating screw and the front rail.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote:I think his fence question has to do with the fact that his fence has the angled locking knob screw.

AIUI the early version tended to move the fence as the knob was tightened and a later version fixed that with 'something' placed between the rotating screw and the front rail.
That must be the P(lain) or W(edge) designation in the 10ER survey here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... XBhMHJJY1E

I'll have to double check that.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Headstock is version 7 of 7 and the Tailstock is version 3 of 4. As for the fence, if you look in your fence's base as shown by the arrow in the picture below it will either have the end of the threads from the knob (version 3) or a wedge attached to the end of the threads (version 4.) I believe that is what Skip was referring to in his survey. Sorry, I don't have a picture that actually shows that but you can see it in the pictures added to Skip's survey.
103 430 Fence Base and Knob.jpg
103 430 Fence Base and Knob.jpg (260.1 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Plain would be version 3 and wedged would be version 4.
Russ

Mark V 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

This one doesn't look like the 'wedged' version in the survey. I think it's an adaptation of 'plain' with a makeshift wedge made of a folded piece of sheet metal. The photos below show it without the makeshift wedge, with it, and the wedge separately.
Attachments
Without wedge
Without wedge
fence wedge 1.jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
With wedge
With wedge
fence wedge 2.jpg (98.55 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Wedge
Wedge
fence wedge 3.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Works too good to be OEM. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As you noted it is the third version of the fence with the angled lock screw without the factory wedge. Some enterprising person has added the extra strip of metal to avoid the movement sometimes occurring when it is locked.
Russ

Mark V 520